Need help with installing a Mustang motor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help with installing a Mustang motor

jelder

Reaction score
City, State
Medicine Hat, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
I have searched and know that alot of people have done this swap, But I'm still alittle unsure of what all I need. I have a 97 ex with a dead 4.0L OHV engine, I also have a 2007 Mustang 4.0L SOHC engine minus upper intake, fuel rail and valve covers. What I need to know is what do I need to get to make this engine work in the ex. Will the OHV exhaust manifold work on the SOHC. What upper intake and fuel rail do I need. And any other things that will point me in the right direction

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could anyone also tell me what years had the return injector system

I have searched and know that alot of people have done this swap, But I'm still alittle unsure of what all I need. I have a 97 ex with a dead 4.0L OHV engine, I also have a 2007 Mustang 4.0L SOHC engine minus upper intake, fuel rail and valve covers. What I need to know is what do I need to get to make this engine work in the ex. Will the OHV exhaust manifold work on the SOHC. What upper intake and fuel rail do I need. And any other things that will point me in the right direction

It all depends on what computer and harness your going to run. '97-98 had a variable length intake runner so the intake, harness and computer are different then any other year.

Your '97 trans is a 5r55e, but its also different then any other year. It has an extra sensor that later years dont use. Is it compatible with a 98+ computer? I dont know.

The OHV and SOHC Y-pipes are different. I dont know if the 'stang manifolds are even the same as the Ex's manifolds.

Your motor mounts brackets and mounts will work.
Your stock rad, fan, and shroud will work. The rad hoses from the OHV are close enough, but might require a little trimming.
The throttle cable may be different, they were on my '95/'01 SOHC swap.
The power steering pressure line and cooler are different.
The A/C lines are different.

Could anyone also tell me what years had the return injector system

97 + 98 were return systems. The fuel rails are the same for all years, maybe not exactly the same, but interchangeable. Its all the other stuff attached to them that different.

Thanks, What about the power steering, Air conditioning and alt brackets

Thanks, What about the power steering, Air conditioning and alt brackets

You have to use the SOHC brackets and accessories.

Dam looks like I'll have to spend more money. If I didn't already have a motor with only 20000km I would reconsider this

Alright I've lined up a 98 to get all of the parts I'll need. It would be nice if someone could give me a complete list of ever thing I'll be needing to do this swap. I know that I need the upper intake, fuel rail, valve covers, wiring and censors, accessory brackets and exhaust manifold. Anything else that I've missed

Back