Need help with low idle issue on a 2003 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help with low idle issue on a 2003

kev7554

Reaction score
City, State
OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 sport track
Heres my problem. When I'm at a stop sign or even when im just sitting not in gear my truck idles at about 1100 or so but if i need to turn the heater or Air on the truck starts to bog down to 600 or 700 rpm, and then bounces back to 1100over and over until i turn the heat or air off. It has never stalled but it sure sounds like it wants to. Also when the rpm's drop the dash lights dim like its a power issue. Could this be a battery or alternator issue? No check engine light or codes. Any ideas? Thanks

Heres my problem. When I'm at a stop sign or even when im just sitting not in gear my truck idles at about 1100 or so but if i need to turn the heater or Air on the truck starts to bog down to 600 or 700 rpm, and then bounces back to 1100over and over until i turn the heat or air off. It has never stalled but it sure sounds like it wants to. Also when the rpm's drop the dash lights dim like its a power issue. Could this be a battery or alternator issue? No check engine light or codes. Any ideas? Thanks

Mine is doing the same thing. Sound like your low on freon or the low pressure switch has a issue. Your A/C kicks on and off a lot i bet.

I have an '05 Sport Trac and mine runs 1000-1100 as well, but after it warms up it only idles around 800 rpm's. This is normal for mine with/without A/C or heat.

Back