RaggedMerc

Reaction score
City, State
Dade city
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
Callsign
Dirty Merc
I lost the key to my Merc and wanna know if I can carb swap it and run the truck it's only a woods/farm truck already have all the ignition switches wired to a switch and the truck will crank but no start, if I spray starting fluid in the intake it will fire but no start because of pats. Love this forum, it has helped me out so much.

Snapchat-1396036637.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Carbed would be tough because you have to add a distributor to your 302 and the PCM controls your auto trans, so if you get rid of the pcm your trans will not shift properly at all
You are better off
Fixing your PATS (get a key)
Swap your ignition cylinder, pats module and pcm for one that has keys (junkyard, online, private seller parts)
Find a 97.5 PCM without pats and plug it in, run that... you might get some codes but it will run

What year is that chopped up merc? I know its 98-01, looks like an early 98 to me from that pic

Carbed would be tough because you have to add a distributor to your 302 and the PCM controls your auto trans, so if you get rid of the pcm your trans will not shift properly at all
You are better off
Fixing your PATS (get a key)
Swap your ignition cylinder, pats module and pcm for one that has keys (junkyard, online, private seller parts)
Find a 97.5 PCM without pats and plug it in, run that... you might get some codes but it will run

What year is that chopped up merc? I know its 98-01, looks like an early 98 to me from that pic
Thanks for the reply, it's a 2000 and 2wd with many options, still have the original window sticker, could I just get a pre pats pcm I've already bypassed the lock cylinder so I have steering access to all my gears and it will crank

you cannot bypass the pats system no, it will disable the fuel injectors so the engine will not run
Only thing to do easily is get a 97.5 pcm and plug it in, but that will result in some codes because the 2000 model has some wiring/sensor changes.
Your best bet is to find a 99-01 v8 parting out and go buy the 1. ignition lock cylinder with key, 2. the pats module behind the glove box and 3 the pcm
plug these into your truck and it will be back to 100%

you cannot bypass the pats system no, it will disable the fuel injectors so the engine will not run
Only thing to do easily is get a 97.5 pcm and plug it in, but that will result in some codes because the 2000 model has some wiring/sensor changes.
Your best bet is to find a 99-01 v8 parting out and go buy the 1. ignition lock cylinder with key, 2. the pats module behind the glove box and 3 the pcm
plug these into your truck and it will be back to 100%
I don't care about codes I just need it to run and drive if I get a pcm outta 97.5 will that do it

I figured you might say that. It will run with the 97.5 pcm, I am not sure how well as there are many changes from 97.5-2000 like 2 - 3 wire cam sensor, 5 to 7 wire MAS, and the trans goes from analog to digital signals to the PCM. I do this just for testing, have never really driven one around :)
Keep us posted.
If you can find a V8 parting out on your local Craigslist I would try to get a 99-01 PCM and the pats parts, I would sell this stuff for like $75 there are MANY high mile V8's being parted out around the country right now for cheap!!

Back