Need Help With Ranger Having Problems after new parts installed! Timing chain maybe | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help With Ranger Having Problems after new parts installed! Timing chain maybe

crokarlo

Reaction score
City, State
Scottsdale
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford ranger exlt 4wd
I recently got a p1309 and a few lean codes. I ordered a new cam position syncro and sensor and installed them wrong. I didnt put the engine at TDC and turned it on and drove it around, it lacked power and had no acceleration. I then took it home and thought the problem was something else. I replaced the

MAF,IAC,TPS,Spark Plugs,Plug wires,Coil Pack, Air Temp,Vaccum lines, Intake manifold, Harness for Cam Sensor and ran it directly to the PCM.

After doing research i learned that i wasnt suposed to install it at 10 degress after or before TDC but right at TDC. So I bought a brand new syncro and sensor and installed them 100% by the book. I double checked all the electrical,wiring,vaccum, ect and my truck starts but ideals rough, random mis fires, no throttle power,dies after a few minutes or if i give it full throttle. Could the timing chain have had skipped a tooth or two? Or maybe has a lot of slack since i incorrectly installed the sensor? The only code its giving me now is p1340. Thats why i installed a new connector and ran it to the pcm connector to be double sure the connections are good and solid. Ive been battleing this truck for 3 weeks now. Its come to the point where ive considered buying a new engine and or selling the truck I dont know what to do and have no hope. Every time I think I find the problem I dont. Thank you! Also if it is the timing chain any ways to check before I tear the thing apart. Thanks!

Also when im reading the pin diagram am i counting the pins on the connector or on the physical PCm. http://imgur.com/a/Eq3Bq
Eq3Bq

Back