Need help with rear light issues, reverse and brake | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help with rear light issues, reverse and brake

Truffle8Shuffle

Reaction score
City, State
West Palm Beach, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
New guy here, first post.

I tried searching a bit and couldn't really find what I'm looking for. I drive a '96 XLT 4.0 automatic. A few months ago, the driver side reverse light went out and a new bulb does not work. Now, the driver side brake/stop light does not work but the light works when the headlights are on. Driver side turn signal works just fine and passenger side lights all work. Top brake/stop light also does not work.

Now, for the brake light, would replacing the brake/stop light switch on the brake pedal fix it? Would replacing the back-up light switch on the transmission fix that one?

Thanks for any and all help. :wavey:

If any of the backup lights or brake lights work then the switches are good. You have a wiring/bulb socket problem.

If any of the backup lights or brake lights work then the switches are good. You have a wiring/bulb socket problem.

Damn, that sounds like it could be worse. Unless it's just a socket problem. Are those easy to replace? I have a Haynes manual if it's in there. A wiring problem sounds bad...

Back