• Register Today It's free!

Need help with roof leaking

Blackout51

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer sport
My roof leaks really bad when it rains, i used air compressor to blow out the drain tubes and checked all over and there is nothing obvious why theres this bad of a leak, my drivers seat will be full of water, ive even gone so far as to put black duct tape over the sun roof until i can find a better solution and it still leaks, anybody have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sometimes one of the 4 drain hoses will pull off it's plastic nipple. you'll need to drop the headliner to check for this.

I would make sure the drain tubes are actually draining. Pour some water in there and make sure it actually drains and see where the leak is coming from.

I would make sure the drain tubes are actually draining. Pour some water in there and make sure it actually drains and see where the leak is coming from.

I've tried the drain test and it didn't really tried any results, I'll have to try again, but it only leaks right over the driver's seat, no where else, I didn't know there were for drain holes so I'll have to check the back two when I get a chance

I've tried the drain test and it didn't really tried any results, I'll have to try again, but it only leaks right over the driver's seat, no where else, I didn't know there were for drain holes so I'll have to check the back two when I get a chance

there are 4 drain tubes. the rear 2 go down the "B" pillars, the front 2 go down the "A" pillars. you cannot access them from the bottom, only from the top where they attach to the drainage tray. sounds like your front left drain tube may have come loose/off or is clogged. you can use some silicon adhesive or a hose clamp to reattach it securely. you and use an air hose or a fish-tape to clear a clog. you may even be able to simply remove the offending hose, clear it and put it back. the hoses are of fairly large diameter.

1997 Eddy Bauer xlt 4x4, still leaking???

I have completely sealed off my moon roof because of leaking & it still comes in above driver seat!!!!!! How the heck is it getting in?? Yes the drain tubes are hooked up & clear.

Check the door rubber lining, mine was leaking...got some sealer for it and it stopped.

Back