• Register Today It's free!

Need help with rust

Rckslick333

Reaction score
City, State
Kittery, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer nbx 4.6
So I've looked on here and I've looked on the body repair but its not helping. I need someone who might have some picture by picture and what products to purchase to help get rid of this cancer or atleast contain it.

Someone please give advice! Thanks!

Beginning
rust_zps0838830d.jpg

and now, wont pass inspection

20140517_195910_zpsd035b7f4.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably going to have to cut it out. That's basically the only thing to do when it gets holes.
If you don't have any tools or welding experience it will be basically imposable, or really expensive.

that wotn pass inspection? best bet is just take it to a body shop and have them cut it out and weld new metal in and shape it and repaint to match, you could also go the ugly but effective route of cutting out the rust, take a piece of regulat thin sheet metal, bent it to fit the contour a bit, and use pop rivets to stick it on, then put the plastic back on after painting it... bondo would also help but either way it wont look profesional unless you take it to a good shop or have the skills to weld in new metal..

How long did it take for the hole to develop? I have one little bubble spot I just noticed the other day and id like to get an idea about how long I have

Probably around a year, year and a half. Depends on where you live too. On if you have snow, how much salts on the road, if you live near water. My problem was new England in general haha

Probably around a year, year and a half. Depends on where you live too. On if you have snow, how much salts on the road, if you live near water. My problem was new England in general haha

I'm down in Maryland about 30 minutes from Washington DC. Don't live near the water but they use tons of salt in the winter. I've had the truck for 2 years and once a week during the winter I take it and get it cleaned and I get underneath really good trying to be proactive about rust. I guess it's a really common place

I have the same cancer starting on mine in the same place.

Everyone I've seen correct the spot using bondo, it has not lasted. I did something a little bit different. I pulled all of the trim off of mine, fiberglassed and bondo'ed it and then at that point I painted my own trim using herculiner and did it right above the mend on the body. It came out alright... I need to put a second coat on it. It definitely looks different. My lines aren't straight as well. I can post a picture later if you'd like.

I got the rust on mine cleaned out then sprayed it with rust reformer and a sealer.

Then I put some masking tape on the back side and filled in the hole with evercoat kitty hair.

I filled the quater panel with a good amount of the kitty hair so it's solid as a rock lol

I shaped it with 40 and 60 grit. Looks near perfect just need to do some filler primer and some undercoating on the inside

Not necessarily the right way to fix it but it will work for now

Back