• Register Today It's free!

need help with shocks

vinny d

Reaction score
City, State
drexel hill, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94explorer xlt
i just got my rancho rs5000 shocks i cant get the boots on easy if u can help me with that also what are the zip ties for? thanx

The boots are fun to get on. You have to pull/fight them to get them over the end of the shock. I haven't found an "easy" way to do it yet but it "seems" to be easier if I leave the boot in the sun for a while before I start.

You want them installed so the "holes" in the boot are facing down once the shocks are installed.

The zip ties are there to try to keep it connected to the shock.

Some people run boots, some don't, it depends on what you drive in etc. Its nearly as debatable as running dino or synthetic oil..

~Mark

yea i got one on fun is the boot supposed to be stretch out threw it or compressed at the top and the zip tie also does it go on bottom or top nd do i leave it on thanx

The zip tie holds the boot onto the "can" which is what the tube goes into.. I cant say if its the top or bottom since depending on the shock the can could be on the top of bottom.

The boot should be installed so when the shock is extended all the way, that it stays on which is what the zip tie is for. It helps hold it on.

~Mark

Back