need help with supercharger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need help with supercharger

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, I'm a newbie here. I have a 93 explorer 4.0L OHV that I want to supercharge under a $1,000. I would appreciate any advice that I can get to do this mod. Thanks

I don't mean to be discouraging in any way. But to supercharge our engine for under 1000? You would have to get a deal of a century. I'm personally looking into turbocharging my engine. I feel that I can do it cheaper and still getting HP out of it.

Good luck with it.

Good luck with the project! The only thing is...I think it will run more than 1k. If that's your limit, I would look at other things, such as intake and exhaust w/tuning.

Good luck with the project! The only thing is...I think it will run more than 1k. If that's your limit, I would look at other things, such as intake and exhaust w/tuning.

I didn't even think of posting about that Charlie. This is true, if you're going to run a supercharger, you might want to work on teh engine/exhaust first. Make sure the engine can handle the supercharger, and also make sure the exhaust doesn't restrict at all.

How much do superchargers cost? How about Turbo?

Turbo is a lot more efficient, but likely more expensive.

welcome aboard

How much do superchargers cost? How about Turbo?

Turbo is a lot more efficient, but likely more expensive.

it really all depends on where you go.

for a first generation, you'll have to put together your own supercharger. someone here has done it before, but it's a mix of parts for different vehicles, there isn't actually a kit made specifically for the explorer.

i think putting in a remote turbo, or just a turbo in general would be cheaper. you don't have to buy new, you can go to the junkyard and get one in pretty good condition and rebuild it at home.

also, if you decide on a turbo, you can do the mockup until you're ready for install, so you don't lose the driveability until you really need to.

i'm planning on using a junkyard turbo, my mechanic is going to rebuild it for me, and i'm bending the piping and all at my buddy's house.

i just checked the pricing at my pull-a-part yard, an intercooler is 17 dollar, a turbo is 40 dollars. so really, if you did ALL the work yourself. this looks like a less then 500 dollar build.... if done right.

find a used BBK charger thats been discontinued, wont happen :D
Other thing is if you find a used BBK blower you'll blow your head gaskets if they havent been done recently, so i would leave it alone :D

If the gaskets have been done recently and you have the old style heads and they overheat even once the heads will crack :D

Back