Need help with trim in roof valleys | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help with trim in roof valleys

Shadow1099

Reaction score
City, State
LEAGUE CITY, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer
So I just recently acquired a 2001 Ford Explorer XLT.
The roof has some rust on it. So I was wanting to sand it down and spray it. But here is my problem. There is this weird trim with a small tab that has an odd square in it. I would need to take these off to do a proper job to sand the inside of the valleys because there may be some rust under them.
Anybody know how these come off? Also when they come off will they be able to be re installed?

Won't let me upload a photo...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The roof has some rust on it. So I was wanting to sand it down and spray it. But here is my problem. There is this weird trim with a small tab that has an odd square in it. I would need to take these off to do a proper job to sand the inside of the valleys because there may be some rust under them.
Anybody know how these come off? Also when they come off will they be able to be re installed?

welcome to EF!

I don't know but welcome!

one can add a photo via a 3rd party site photo bucket etc if you are not elite. or imgur etc. not too sure what you are describing, but a picture could help.

Welcome.

Upload to Upload Image — Free Image Hosting and then once uploaded you can go to the photo and hit the C button for embed codes and then in the drop down select one of the BBCodes options, copy the code then give you in the box below the drop down, paste that code directly into the forum and BAM, photo in post, this so:

20221002-205219.jpg

Giving the photo copy a try. If it worked it's the trim right in the valley.
Thank you guys for the response, and welcoming!

Ditto. The side rails have bolts holding them on, and the rest between them use rivets entirely. You will have to drop the headliner to remove them, and install the new rivets.

If you go to my picture in the thread that this link takes you to, it shows the explorer with the headliner removed and you can see the bottom of those pop rivets in those valleys

Drop Headliner

Sounds like a big ol pain in the @$$ lol.
I noticed I have a leak on the top of my windshield with the accompanied rust. I'm just gonna take it to a body shop and let them have their way with her lol.

Back