Need help with understanding 1995 Explorer XLT EEC OBD1 Code(with video) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help with understanding 1995 Explorer XLT EEC OBD1 Code(with video)

Reaction score
City, State
Coos Bay
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer XLT 1995

I have no idea what I'm looking at here and could use a little bit of help. I want to know what codes are and what there mean, but any help would be very much greatly appreciated. The codes start at 1:47 if you want to skip the part of the video where I start up XLT. Thanks in advance. :)

UPDATE
I counted the numbers on the codes and I got 1116538536632116538536632

I'm a bit confused

is the codes reading, or do I skip the first one? Which is the correct line?

11 11
16 65
53 38
85 53
36 66
63 32
21 11
16 65
53 38
85 53
36 66
63 32

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Been a number of years since I've dealt with pulling codes from a flashing Check Engine light...so, I pulled out my old manual to brush up on it a little. What I remember from owning a '95 is that the 111 is the separator code ('93 thru '95). I'm a little confused with your numbers, too as the manual doesn't show a code 65 or 653. However, by working backwards, one can make sense of the numbers that correspond with what's listed in the manual with KOER (Key On Engine Running). For instance, the last three digits of 632 is shown to be "Transmission Control Switch (TCS) circuit did not change states during KOER". Three digits before those (536) is shown to be Brake On/Off (BOO) circuit failure/not activated during KOER". Three digits before those (538) is shown to be "Insufficient change in RPM/operator error in Dynamic Response Check. That leaves the number 65...which remains a mystery. Don't know if any of this helps...but, the best sense I can make of it.

Thanks for helping me out, it really means alot! Would you be worried about any of the codes I got?

The codes retrieved with engine running are commonly referred to as Soft or Continuous Memory Codes. Per Haynes manual... "These codes indicate a fault that may or may not be present at the time of testing. These codes usually indicate an intermittent failure. Continuous Memory codes are stored in the system and they will flash after the normal Hard Codes. These codes are either two digit (1991 thru 1994) or three digit codes (1993 thru 1995). These codes can indicate chronic or intermittent problems.

BTW...this is only part of a complete test to extract any/all stored codes. The Hard codes they speak of are obtained by the use of a volt or multimeter and the EEC diagnostic connector plug under the hood. A short jumper wire is needed, also. I would encourage you to purchase a manual for your truck and follow the various procedures to properly detect all codes.

To answer your question...I'm really not qualified to interpret the significance of these codes one way or the other. My personal opinion, however, is that they seem to be rather innocuous and, unless you're experiencing problems with the truck, could probably be ignored. Also, to add to what I stated previously concerning the sequence of numbers working backwards, I found where there is a Code 16 (I mistakenly referred to a Code 65 not being listed...forgetting the "5" belonged to the subsequent Code 538). Anyway, Code 16 is with KOER and is shown to be "RPM too low to perform Oxygen Sensor/fuel test". Again, I think this is an innocuous code that can be ignored.

My Explorer has been making grounding sounds when I turn and it is in 4x4 drive. I was hoping that the codes would give me a clue what it could be.

Oh you have a Haynes manual, I ear allot of mixed things about them, how to you feel about them?

Overall, the Haynes and Chilton manuals suck! I get more hands on info frequenting my local U Pick. But, they do have some useful info in them. I've just found that their step-by-step procedures are often vague and incomplete since they try to cover too many vehicles in one manual.

Sounds like your transfer case may need some attention. Try changing the fluid and see if that helps. If not, you may be in line for a rebuild. You're fortunate that you have the option to switch into true 2WD on your '95. Wish they had kept that feature on my '98 (yeah...I know all about the brown wire mod). Keep in mind that if you're running in "4WAuto" on a regular basis, you really need to make sure your tires are of the same size. They say a variation of more than 3/32" in diameter among them will wreak havoc on your transfer case over time. Same will happen if you have bad alignment due to worn ball joints/tie rods/etc.

Back