Need Help!

Fhantazm

Reaction score
City, State
Bristol, Tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Navajo LX 4X4
Hello!
I have been on the board for a while and havent posted in forever, it seems but am having a problem that I need an opinon on. Short story is when the truck was purchased the 4x4 didnt work. I put a brand new shift motor in and it worked great UNTIL!!! Last night. I pressed 4x4 it went in fine. I disengaged and attempted to reengage and nothing. I stopped and attempted to listen for the control module "click" when 4x4 is pressed. There is no click. Im thinking the switch is bad, as there were a few times that I had to press 4x4 a couple of times to get it to work. Im going to attempt the self-test after this post. Any other ideas or thoughts? Has anyone else had the switch go bad?? How about the control module!? Im pretty sure its NOT the shift motor, as it is basically new with very little use. Any thoughts or inputs would be great!

EDIT: The computer seems to pass diagnostics(Flashes 5 times and goes out). Im thinking its the switch. Any ideas what pins on the wiring harness I can jump to bypass switch for testing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No one has anything else to add, huh?

You can try applying direct power to the shift motor to see if it is working. Even tho it's new, do you engage 4x4 at least once a month to keep it limber?

Yes. Most of the time, I do. Im sure there have been times where I let it slip my mind, but as a whole I do. Also if it is the shiff motor, I should still hear clicks coming from the computer in the back, correct?

Not necessarily. If the electical load to move the shift motor is too great, you will not hear the click from the controller. You can always self-test the controller to make sure it's working, but those rarely fail.

Ok. The switch arrived(Thank you jimabena!) but no go. Same thing. No relay clicks, nothing. Looks like I am going to have to check for shorts next. I have hit the shift motor with a hammer(lightly) to see if that makes a difference(it didnt). I really have a hard time believeing that the shift motor would be bad. Its been used MAYBE 10 times since new. But knowing my luck, it probably is. If anyone has ANYTHING else to add, please feel free. Theres a winter storm watch and I need all the help I can get!!

Have you crawled under and made sure all the electrical connecters were plugged in and no wires were broken? Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes to reset the computer?

Its the shift motor again, rebuild it.
You sure you installed a "new" one? Where did you get it?

UPDATE!!
I did not remove the battery for 10 minutes, possible that could be it. I did remove for 1-2 minutes, with no help. Heres what I did:
Pulled the shift motor. Wanted to make sure the transfer case was ok, so I manually turned it to 4H then drove. Worked fine however it went past the detent between 4h and 4l and disengaged the driveline. It appears that it will NOT lock into the 4H position. Stays in 2H and 4l just fine, however. Is this normal?? Did the torque of the motor hold it in 4H? Or is there a spring that is supposed to hold it, that is worn??

There is a rubber stopper that breaks. Read Brains Shift Motor Rebuild thread for more insight.

Back