• Register Today It's free!

need help

movielover1

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Holly
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ford Explorer Limite
Ok I bought a 94 explorer limited awhile back. When I first got it back it had to be put in the shop for some front end work. I took it to sears(only place near me) they replaced the passenger side steering knuckle, and added an eccentric bolt 2 degree I think. They aligned the front end and everything was good, now the problem is back, the front passenger tire tilts in at the top a little bit, when I hit a pot hole(common in jersey) I can feel it hard(I know the shcoks need to be replaced) it doesn't pull either way but the elignment is off again. I don't want to take it to a shop and end up costing me more then it should. Here is some pics if they help, maybe yall will see something that I don't by the the way incase it matter it is a v6 4.0L automatic with auto 4x4.

loc012.jpg

loc011.jpg

loc010.jpg

loc009.jpg

loc008.jpg

loc007.jpg

loc006.jpg

loc005.jpg

loc004.jpg

loc003.jpg

loc002.jpg

loc001.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when did u get it aligned at sears...because all their alignments have a 6 month warranty, also when u take it into them u can get them to tell you whats wrong without replacing anything, then u can maybe do it yourself or get a friend to help
everything underneith looks normal..and i've spent a fair amount of time under mine lately haha

it was early feburary. but sears and I had a misunderstanding, and I really dont want to go back to them. it took them two weeks to do the work on it after they told me two days. I called every day and got every excuse in the book. My tech called out, we don't have the right tools. The sun is bright enough. You name it I got it. I was thinking about bringin it to the ford dealer, but my friend said dealers rip people off when it comes to reapir jobs.

the upper balljoint needs to be adjusted.

Try another Sears. They should all honor the warranty. Where I live, there are at least 5 stores within a 30-minute drive.

You paid enough for the job, it came with a warranty, why pay someone else to do it again?

You could also try escalating it to a higher (district or corporate level) manager, but I definitely would go to a different store either way.

Mike

I don't think the upper balljoints can be adjusted. I bet the balljoints are shot and they have play causing the tilt. lift the front of the truck on jack stands and wiggle the tire back and forth with one hand on the top of the tire and the other on the bottom and if theres play replace the balljoints. If not that then its probley just an allignment issue. I dout the steering nuckle is bad. I have never had a good expirience with sears. They lie and always have an excuse to void the warrenty.

if every thing is good go to an autozone or equivalent and purchase twist in spring lifter will take care of that camber issue

Holy @#$% that is the most rust I have ever seen on an X. Good thing we dont have that problem out here in Arizona.

That's nothing, he still has some paint on all those parts! I think I have some frame rot...

The salt in NE in winters is brutal. It's so bad, I have pitting/oxidation on all the aluminum under the hood too.

its brutal here in ny too my rockers and dog legs are gone the bumpers are starting to rust through all the wheel wells are at least starting to rust and the area around the gas tank is starting to buble

I don't think the upper balljoints can be adjusted. I bet the balljoints are shot and they have play causing the tilt. lift the front of the truck on jack stands and wiggle the tire back and forth with one hand on the top of the tire and the other on the bottom and if theres play replace the balljoints. If not that then its probley just an allignment issue. I dout the steering nuckle is bad. I have never had a good expirience with sears. They lie and always have an excuse to void the warrenty.

Ditto that .. you grease fittings look a bit dry...
possible why ball joint went ?

how much play in them?

its brutal here in ny too my rockers and dog legs are gone the bumpers are starting to rust through all the wheel wells are at least starting to rust and the area around the gas tank is starting to buble

same hear
bubble paint by gasoline cap
frame is rotten as well....entire support under rad is gone(transform of state)

Back