Need Help!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help!!!

On my 2000 5.0 with a flowmaster I got Wrangler RT/S with the size of a P255/70/r16. For the past week my right front tire has slowly been leaking. Found out today it had a tear between the tread and was not fixable. So for the first time ever we had to put the spare on. I was planning on getting new tires this winter time anyways since they're 6 years old but I now am forced to get atleast 2 now. I am looking at the Wrangler silent armours. Is it safe to get two of these now and two later as soon as I can come up with the money or will it damage my AWD? Getting four is not an option now either

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Even with the same tire "size" the actual diameter can vary from one manufacturer to another-
With your AWD system-you need 4 new tires, of the same brand
be sure to rotate them often.
I would hesitate to use 2 new with 2 old tires-it could cause expensive damage to the transfer case, as it's normal operation is to drive the front when it "feels" a difference between the front and rear wheel speed.
Not to mention, when you finally do get the other 2 tires-you still have the same problem--different sized tires due to wear-
You "MIGHT" get away with pulling the front drive shaft, but only for a short time. **You will need to exersize caution though, as the truck will roll in "park" without a front drive shaft.**

wow that isn't good. Well since this spare is 6 years old but never been used its probably slightly larger in diameter as well. How long do u think I can safely drive on this spare it's also an RT/S. This is not good money isn't going to let me buy more than two at VERY MOST right now for about another month for these silent Armours. I feel royally screwed right now:mad: :mad:

Ok I went up to my closest goodyear shop and told them my 255/70/r16 sized tires. And for the wrangler silent armours its gonna cost $163 per tire plus $20 per tire for road hazard. Would I really be better off just ordering them from tire rack for $130 per tire and $15.48 road hazard and having someone else put them on or just get them from goodyear?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Goodyear&model=Wrangler+SilentArmor

In my opinion-it is a crappy thing to buy tires on line and then have the tire shop do the dirty work--
Most tire shop prices include mounting and balancing--which they may ream you for if you bring in "on line" tires--

In fact, in my neck of the woods--some shops won't even touch them-
Now, what if you have a warranty issue with an online tire? You'd better expect to pay to have it dismounted-and the replacement mounted and balanced again.
A tire shop will warranty the tire sooner than you finish a cup of coffee

just my .02

just checking. want to look at both options and just needing to know what route would be better. Thanks for the help I guess I'm gonna fork a butt load of dough then which will take a month and half to probably 2 to save up for but hopefully it'll be worth it in the end because I've read nothing but good things about the Silent Armours.

Read the reviews on Tirerack about loosing MPG with the Silent Armours, if MPG matters to you. I think that was the tire I was looking at in the past.

My local Discount Tire will price match online, but that is with shipping and other fees. I had them price match Treadepot when they offered free shipping.

I've never had a Goodyear tire I liked. Plus Goodyear is way to proud of their tires. They let the "#1 tire in NASCAR" get to their head. Hell, how hard is it to be #1 when it's the only f*cking tire used.

Back