Need Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help!

So I've looked at many threads and I still do know what to do. I have a 2000 xlt explorer and am getting it lifted on the 7th as of now i have a 3' body lift and the warrior shackels. Im trying to fit 33x12.5 maxxis bighorns and i dont want to trim the fenders. Will i need to lift it more? Should i get AAL, can i get some that lift it .5'? If so where could i get them? Wat should i do? Help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks. I'll post pics after its done im also doing exhaust and tint.

Do i need new bolts when i do the tt.

Can i get more than 1.25" out of the warrior shackles? Is there a special way to do this?

No there isn't. They are set at a certain length. You can get custom ones made, but then they would be even uglier than the warriors hanging down so low.

So either custom shackles that are longer or custom springs. Springs is really the better route to go, but also much more expensive. But with only going 33s, the ~5" of lift should be plenty.

So I was going to have a guy do all the work for my lift but I havent been able to reach him for two weeks. Should I do the BL and TT myself? I have never done any thing like that before. How hard is it? I dont want to mess any thing up.

TT is about the easiest thing you can do. The body lift isn't that hard, just follow the instructions. It would be much better if you had a couple buddies to help also.

For the TT:
  1. lube torsion bolts with wd40/pb blaster or something of the like
  2. measure from ground to the top of the wheel well (both sides)
  3. jack up front end off the ground
  4. tighten one torsion bolt and keep track of how many turns
  5. tighten the other bolt the same amount of turns
  6. lower vehicle
  7. measure from ground to the top of the wheel well (both sides)
  8. repeat if needed to your desired height
  9. remember not to go more than 2" if you are 4wd
  10. get an alignment

How often does the BL require modifications? Some people have had to grind down the steering extension is there any thing else like that? How can I do the rear bumper brackets?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47345
Torsion twisting is the easiest way you will ever lift a vehicle. I still need to get new bolts, as I am only getting about an inch of lift with the bolts all the way in. Actually, I only need a new bolt for the drivers side, the passenger side one I can crank up to 2".

How often does the BL require modifications? Some people have had to grind down the steering extension is there any thing else like that? How can I do the rear bumper brackets?

I think it mostly depends on the truck. Some people need to mess with the steering extension, some don't. The bumper brackets you'll have to have made if you can't make them yourself. I can't imagine they would be expensive, since they are just small pieces of plate with 4 holes in them.

Ok I think ill try and do it myself. Hopefully it wont be to bad. Thanks for your help.

Besides TT and BL is there any other way to lift the front about another inch? Also when you jack up the torsion bars 2" doesnt it settle down to 1.75"? Can I just twist it some more after it settles, will it stay at 2"? I really want the full 2".

Hey update on my car I found a guy to lift my truck as a side job. I finally got to see it last night and it is awesome. I just have a couple questions, the guy (Johny) said that the sway bar couldn't be put back on its to small does that make sense. Can I go w/o he said because i added a leaf it shouldn't be that bad on the road. Does the aal make up for the sway bar? Also before he cranked up the t bars he said there was like a half inch of thread left and when i got to the shop he said he had them all the way up but he thinks it gave more than 2". How bad will it be if its a little over 2", and no he did not measure.

Anyone?

Back