• Register Today It's free!

need help...

Rollmodel00

Reaction score
City, State
Millbury, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Limited
Today on the way home from work, my explorer started up and a few minutes later all the dash lights went off and the guages all fell to zero, while the truck continued to run. I then tried to fix this by shutting it off a restarting it but it wouldnt start. A guy from work helped me jump it, it ran for a while, i got about half way home when i lost all the lights and guages again but could still drive, but then about 10 minutes later i lost power steering and then it shut off...? any ideas? alternator?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im really out of my element here, but check all your fuses, it could be one of them that's just barely making contact when cold, then when it gets hot it looses contact again

Had almost the same thing happen when driving a friends camaro. It was the alternator.

alternator would be the first choice, when you jumped it you gave it a little charge. I bet when the battery gets too low its shutting the ACC off to keep it running.

this just had this happen with our work van, if it is the alternator then the battery isn't too far behind it. sometimes its best to replace both.

happened to me a couple weeks ago on my way to my grandpa's funeral, horrible timing. I can almost guarantee it's your alternator. I'm close to 100K on mine and figured I'd just put a new serpentine belt on it at the same time too.

Back