• Register Today It's free!

Need help!

matth

Reaction score
City, State
frederick, md
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 2wd sport
My truck is a o1 sport. It's 2wd 2dr manual Trans. I swapped in a 99 5.0 with an 03 f150 Trans. The truck runs great but for the life of me of me I can not figure out the speedo. I wired in the abs parts from the donor. Still nothing. I'm at the point , I will pay someone to help me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

VSS wiring

Your 2001 Sport wiring is probably the same as my 2000 Sport. It has an analog instrument cluster. The electronic speedometer/odometer is driven by the VSS signal generated by the 4 wheel anti-lock brake system (4WABS). The electrical path is connecter C287 Pin 1 at the instrument cluster goes via a GY/BK wire to splice S247 which is also connected to the radio, GEM, compass/OAT and message center. From there it goes to C146 M/F Pin 20 via GY/BK wire and then to splice S168 which is connected to 4WABS C186 Pin 19. S168 is also connected to the PCM and the speed control servo. The 4WABS module communicates with the PCM via the multiplex communication network.

I assume you are using the donor 5.0L PCM. Do you have any ABS faults?

Does your cruise control work?

Do you have a message center? If so, depress "FUEL ECON" to see if it is reasonable.

Does your radio work? If so, does the volume increase as vehicle speed increases?

Thx for the intrest.

no abs faults
dont have cruise or message center
truck has aftermarket radio

Took it to dealer only thing they could tell me when it was data logged was speed abs output was correct but no vss signal. It does have a check engine light which i think is a p0500? I have no idea what to do with this thing.

Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction

P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction

The PCM is not receiving the VSS signal from the 4WABS. Check for continuity from Pin 19 on the 4WABS connector to Pin 58 on the PCM connector.

What were the ABS parts you wired in from the donor? Your 2001 should have had a complete ABS.

Are you using the 1999 5.0L PCM?

Did it come from an Explorer?

Is the 2003 F150 transmission an automatic or a stick?

Does your tachometer read correctly?

I will check pin 19. Is that the gry/blk wire circuit 679?

I used the abs module and transducer sensor(mercury switch)

yes 99 pcm, but from mountaineer.

03 f150 manual stick shift trans

Tack works fine after moving one wire over

Auto trans PCM

The 1999 V8 Mountaineer was only manufactured with the 4R70W automatic transmission. Do you have a custom tune to delete the automatic functions or did you jumper the DTR sensor connections?
Do you have any transmission related DTCs?

I have a custom tune. Only code I have is vss

Back