• Register Today It's free!

need help

stoneyj69

Reaction score
City, State
palmer, ak
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer xl
have 94 XL explorer gas gauge bouncing all over the place any ideas what could be
causing this and how to fix.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Like when you driving? Or does it do it just sitting still?

Fuel sending unit inside the gas tank it's not fun to replace at all. Not very cheap either

Like when you driving? Or does it do it just sitting still?
like when i first start it up it goes over full than after awhile it goes back down to an eighth of a tank then some times when i start it its on empty.

I have problems with two of mine doing what you described. Both had new Bosch fuel pump, sending unit assemblies installed. I got them from rockauto.

At first I questioned the anti slosh module, but after the second one I think I got some bad sending units. I let it go as I didn't feel much like changing them out again. I just fill up every 200 miles.

I have problems with two of mine doing what you described. Both had new Bosch fuel pump, sending unit assemblies installed. I got them from rockauto.

At first I questioned the anti slosh module, but after the second one I think I got some bad sending units. I let it go as I didn't feel much like changing them out again. I just fill up every 200 miles.
I did the same for 3 or 4 years. Fill up, hack the odometer, fill up before 260 miles tick off.
Then my kids kept forgetting to hack the odometer, so I finally fixed the sending unit.

Back