Need Home Network Help | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Need Home Network Help

Robert

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Kelseyville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Can someone that is a little more familiar with home networks provide some assistance? I have a 2Wire PCPort 10 Mbps USB adapter on my computer and my Wife/Daughter's computer. When I originally set them up for home networking a few months ago, no problem everything went smoothly. I have reinstalled Windows 98 on my computer since then and I can no longer get the network to work properly on my computer. I have reinstalled the Client for Microsoft Networks, 2Wire adapter and the TCP/IP 2Wire protocol. Both computers match in that regard. The thing I notice about my computer is that regardless of what I choose for a workgroup name, it doesn't show up when I select the "Entire Network". I get an empty box. For instance when I select the "Network Neighborhood" icon on my desktop, I get two icons (Entire Network & Robert (my computer's name is Robert just like mine :) ). If I select "Robert" I see the drives on my computer, if I select "Entire Network" I get an empty box. When I do this on my Wife's computer I see "Workgroup". If I select "Workgroup" on my Wife's computer I can then see everything under that workgroup which currently is just my Wife's computer. When everything used to be working and I selected Workgroup, I would see both my Wife's computer and mine.

Regardless of what I try, I can not get a workgroup to show up on my computer. I have tried changing the name and re-booting. It is listed correctly under "Identifications" but it doesn't show up in my "Entire Neighborhood". I have Windows XP waiting to install, but I want to get my network working again before I do since I am more familiar with 98 than XP. I want everything working correctly to minimize any problems with switching to XP.

Help!

Robert

ok89

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
College Station, TX (school) / Houston, TX (Home)
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Wrangler X
Thats an odd problem. I never liked the home network with winblows 98. I could never view the network from my computer but i could still use the printer and internet. Now I have XP and it is great. It set me up on the network by itself.