• Register Today It's free!

Need info 02 sport 4x4

Dark723neptune

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 sport 4.0 4x4
I read someone say that the 02 sport is basically the same vehicle as the 2nd gen even though the year is technically 3rd gen that lift parts and such could be from the 2nd gen does anyone have any info on this or know where i could find some? Basically im wondering what i can do to lift the front end and if i can run 15 inch wheels 3rd gens say no but 2nd gens are running 15s just curious and what parts interchange etc. Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I read someone say that the 02 sport is basically the same vehicle as the 2nd gen even though the year is technically 3rd gen that lift parts and such could be from the 2nd gen does anyone have any info on this or know where i could find some? Basically im wondering what i can do to lift the front end and if i can run 15 inch wheels 3rd gens say no but 2nd gens are running 15s just curious and what parts interchange etc. Thanks in advance
I have a 99 Sport with 15s and don't have any issues. I just did a Torsion twist with rear shackles. I run 33-12.50x15 with 4.5 backspacing. I do have some rubbing on the front sway bar and had to trim a little in the rear of the front wheel well.
photo.php

The sports are 2nd gen up to 03. Mine came with 16" rims stock.

The sports are 2nd gen up to 03. Mine came with 16" rims stock.
Awesome thanks for the info. Do you know if there were any differences between the sport and the 4 doors as far as suspension? Im sorry for all the questions it would just be easier for me to find parts if i can interchange with any 2nd gen 4x4

I have a 99 Sport with 15s and don't have any issues. I just did a Torsion twist with rear shackles. I run 33-12.50x15 with 4.5 backspacing. I do have some rubbing on the front sway bar and had to trim a little in the rear of the front wheel well.
photo.php
How much did you torsion twist and how much height did you gain?

The Explorer Sport 2nd gen ended at 2003. The later trucks use the name Sport as a model/trim, not meaning two door hatch any more. So how many doors does your 2002 have? If it has only two then it's a 2nd gen truck, and anything from a 2001 Sport will work on it.

2001 was when the Sport and Sport Trac got a bigger front rotor, so almost no 15" wheels won't work on those. People have mentioned an odd 15" wheel that will go over the calipers, reported here somewhere.

Back