Need input on choice of tires/rims | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need input on choice of tires/rims

Well I'm going to be placing an order soon for a new set of tires and rims....What I have is a 99 Sport w/ 2" Body Lift and TT/Shackles. The tire/rim setup I was planning on is:

15x8 Pro Comp Xtreme Alloy

-with-

33x12.50 - Super Swamper TrXus STS All Terrain

I only run my truck on beach sand and maybe a little mudding if any....just wanted to get some input before I drop a grand :p ...

All this will be ordered from 4wheelparts.com

**Also...I have Axle Code 42 which is "42 - 4.10 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)" .... how will that handle with 33's?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4.10s will be ok with 33s, you will notice a drop in performance but it wont be horrible... you should make sure your wheels have 3.75" backspacing, that is the most common sized backspacing for explorer enthusiasts... be prepared to do a little trimming in some areas as a 12.5 is a good sized tire....

Would you say just a little trimming on the inner fender and maybe bumper? .... nothing to do do with actual metal?

With just the 2" BL, you are going to have to cut on both the front bumper and the bottom of the front wheelwells. I had to take about 1/4" off my wheel wells and a little off the front bumper behind the driving lights, with the TT/3"BL and 33x12.5/15s on 15x8 rims.

Can I get some more opinions from any others?....Also SplashMan, would you say go thru the trouble with the trimming and all, or should I just look for some 32x11.50? .... Would 32x12.50 also give me less trimming? .... thanks (need answers quick....planning on ordering tires today)

toop said:
Can I get some more opinions from any others?....Also SplashMan, would you say go thru the trouble with the trimming and all, or should I just look for some 32x11.50? .... Would 32x12.50 also give me less trimming? .... thanks (need answers quick....planning on ordering tires today)

Really it is up to you. I cut because I needed the 33s to wheel with, but if I was just lifting mainly for looks, I'd go with a 32x11.5/15 size. I run 32x11.5/15s now with the 3" BL and they look small, but if it was just a 2" BL they would look nice. With the 32s and the 2" BL you probably won't have to cut.

Hmm...Well problem with 32x11.5 is that I cant find one that I like with a good price heh.....was it minor trimming with the 3" BL and 33s?

SplashMan said:
I had to take about 1/4" off my wheel wells and a little off the front bumper behind the driving lights, with the TT/3"BL and 33x12.5/15s on 15x8 rims.
;)

There are a lot of tires in a 32/15, what style are you looking at? A M/T or and A/T? I saw you were looking at the Swamper line, the TSL Radial comes in a 32x10.5/15. SSRs come in a 32x11.5/15. Both good tires for everyday driving with some offroad stuff thrown in.

Yeah I saw those as well, but was looking for something around $150..... Looking into the BFG Muds or might suck it up and go with the SSRs ..... for some reason the looks of the Muds dont attract me as much as the Swampers do....

if you are looking at bfgs or swampers they also come in some oddball sizes.... i know bfgs make a 33x10.5 and those probably wouldnt need much trimming at all

also depends on your vehicle.. because for instance on my 1995. i am running 31's but had 33's on for a day borrowed a buddies to see how they would fit...
rubbed very little and I only have torsian bars adjusted and shackels in the rear...
I was going to do spindals and dd a leafs in rear but too mcuh for the spindals and I decide to go with a body lift. and with my vehicle torsian bars twisted up shackles and a body lift I will be putting at least 33's possible35's more than likely 35's

so basically each vehicle is a little bit differnt...

davidmmm69 said:
also depends on your vehicle.. because for instance on my 1995. i am running 31's but had 33's on for a day borrowed a buddies to see how they would fit...
rubbed very little and I only have torsian bars adjusted and shackels in the rear...
I was going to do spindals and dd a leafs in rear but too mcuh for the spindals and I decide to go with a body lift. and with my vehicle torsian bars twisted up shackles and a body lift I will be putting at least 33's possible35's more than likely 35's

so basically each vehicle is a little bit differnt...

how were you going t odo spindles?

95 2wd of course i could add lift spindals.

davidmmm69
Elite Explorer

2002 XLT Explorer 4WD
Fall River Mass also 1995 2wd 4dr explorer

THIS IS THE SAME RIM YOU HAVEW POSTED, BUT I FOUND IT FOR A CHEAPER PRICE

XTREME ALLOY 1869 for only $82.99
The Clock Is Ticking - Only 7 Left!!
xtremealloys_1869_c.jpg

XTREME ALLOY 1869
View Larger Image

Your Price:
$82.99
MSRP:
$149.99
You Save:
$67.00

XTREME ALLOY 1869

15X8 = SIZE

5-4.75" = BOLT PATTERN

3-5/8 = BACK SPACING

~ ~XTERME ALLOY AT LOWEST PRICE EVER ~ ~

Bolt Pattern Guide
Part Number: XAW1869-5834
Manufacturer: XTREME ALLOY

Mine is the 1079 series...with beadlocks....and bolt pattern is 4.5 for explorers i think....but thanks anyways

toop said:
Mine is the 1079 series...with beadlocks....and bolt pattern is 4.5 for explorers i think....but thanks anyways

this rim, comes in difforent patterns. your kinda real cut and dry man....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Still different rims...but yeah didn't think about how they have different bolt patterns lol sorry.....what you mean "cut and dry" lol?

but yeah anyways, thanks for the help....ended up with ..

Xtreme Alloy "Beadlocks" w/ Swamper SSR 32x11.50 ....

Back