Need Keyless Entry 1993 Ford Explorer XLT Help... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Keyless Entry 1993 Ford Explorer XLT Help...

Liam Moonan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
So I recently discovered an 'Anti-Theft' light on my dash. It doesn't light up but it's there and has a bulb in the socket, so at one point it did light up. But from what I've read that means you have a keyless entry system installed. It is a 1993 Ford Explorer XLT model, and when I bought it there was no remote with it. Only a few had remote systems that year. I bought a remote to see if I can pair it with the car to see if that will make the green anti-theft light to come on. Maybe the system can only be armed by the remote? Anyway, when the remote came there were no directions on how to pair it even though on the website they said they would include them. I've read many different variations of how to pair the remote, but just want some clarification. Also, do you guys think this will fix the green light not blinking? Any help/information is greatly appreciated. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to the wiring diagrams the anti-theft light is driven by the anti-theft module which has a very close wiring relationship with the remote keyless entry module - provided that your system is still complete then fixing the key less entry issue should also enable the anti-theft system, otherwise I cannot think of any other way to arm an anti-theft system except with a remote.

Additionally a "RKE Program Connector : At left rear quarter panel" is listed indicating that the instructions (on youtube, not going to link) for programming factory keyless entry on a 1933 - 1994 Ford Explorer should be correct.

Our '94 Limited has/had the alarm and keyless entry until the alarm failed 'on' due to water getting into the left rear quarter panel alarm module. I unplugged the alarm part of the keyless entry system. Perhaps a previous owner had the same problem and did the same thing.

According to the wiring diagrams the anti-theft light is driven by the anti-theft module which has a very close wiring relationship with the remote keyless entry module - provided that your system is still complete then fixing the key less entry issue should also enable the anti-theft system, otherwise I cannot think of any other way to arm an anti-theft system except with a remote.

Additionally a "RKE Program Connector : At left rear quarter panel" is listed indicating that the instructions (on youtube, not going to link) for programming factory keyless entry on a 1933 - 1994 Ford Explorer should be correct.
In my vehicle, in the Left rear quarter panel there are three 'dummy' plugs that aren't connected to anything. On all the videos I've seen the plugs are in behind the glovebox. Nothing is behind the glovebox in my car though. I'm assuming the plug is one of the 'dummies' in the back but don't know which one. They all have numbers on them. Is there any way to tell on the wiring diagrams you have?

On my 96, the THEFT light does not come on automatically when I lock the doors with the remote. I think it does come on when I lock the doors via the LOCK switch on the driver's door panel and shut the door.

On my 96, behind the left rear quarter panel, one of the harness plugs had a yellow tag on it showing the correct part number for the RAP module. I recently replaced my original one that was failing with a junkyard unit.

The wiring diagrams I have (specific to a 93 model) show wire colors White/Yellow and Gray/Yellow for the RKE programming pigtail.

Back