• Register Today It's free!

Need leaf spring measurements

jeepskate

Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
N/A
Hope you guys don't mind a Jeeper popping in to pick your brains. I'm building a custom Scrambler and need some assistance with the front suspension due to a series of mis-steps. Everything is setup with leaf springs SOA...Comanche rear springs out back and Cherokee rear springs up front. My buddy showed up to weld on my front spring hangers before I got my hands on the Cherokee springs, so I worked with measurements from a Trailmaster spring catalog that turned out to be about 3/4" too long and forgot to factor in that my conversion shackle hangers (CJ's use a 2" wide, 44" long front spring) which are intended for use with Wrangler springs (2.5" wide, 45" long) mount about 1" further forward than the stock hangers. So, my front suspension geometry is out of whack and I'm on the hunt for more suitable length springs. What I need to do here is verify the width of the Explorer and Ranger rear spring packs at 2.5" and get measurements of the following: eye-to-eye length measured across the arch, eye-to-eye length measured through the arch, center pin position, free arch (lay the spring on the ground upside down and measure from the main leaf at the center pin straight down to the ground), and the inner diameter of the spring eyes. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure to the answer to your question, but check out Onandoffroad.com. someone there may know your answer! Also your from IL i see. Check out NOIEC.COM maybe some day we can run together

I have a set of Explorer rear springs sitting in my front yard. They have an add-a-leaf on it.. but I'll try to measure it for you tonight.. If I remember correctly, they are 3" springs.. not 2.5" but I'll double check..

~Mark

Originally posted by COMMOCOZY
Not sure to the answer to your question, but check out Onandoffroad.com. someone there may know your answer! Also your from IL i see. Check out NOIEC.COM maybe some day we can run together

I'll give that forum a try, though it looks pretty empty over there. Really just need someone to take a few minutes with a tape measure and their truck. I'll be up for some shakedown runs at the Badlands once this beast is together and would welcome the company.

Originally posted by Maniak
I have a set of Explorer rear springs sitting in my front yard. They have an add-a-leaf on it.. but I'll try to measure it for you tonight.. If I remember correctly, they are 3" springs.. not 2.5" but I'll double check..

~Mark

Thanks! That'd be great if you could do that for me.

I'll try again tonight.. I just can't seem to get home from work before Dark.. Worst case I'll do it Satuarday morning. I know where they are.. I just about trip over them every morning.. :)

~Mark

Hi there,

I was wondering is there any way that you could relocate the shackles in the front ? I moved mine around 3 or 4 times before they were perfect. And I also made my own shackles. Up front i'm running 1973 international scout II leafs, that are skyjacker softrides.

Now why would you wanna put an explorer rear leaf in the front ? Doesn't make any sence. First off there isn't much weight in the rear of and it will be saggin pretty good in the front.

I would do this for ya, but i have the mono leaf on my 98 and that thing sucks and is not the same as leaf pack. if you are interested in doing some runs with us check out NOIEC.COM under the events page.

Good luck with the beast!

Originally posted by Oknut
Hi there,

I was wondering is there any way that you could relocate the shackles in the front ? I moved mine around 3 or 4 times before they were perfect. And I also made my own shackles. Up front i'm running 1973 international scout II leafs, that are skyjacker softrides.

Now why would you wanna put an explorer rear leaf in the front ? Doesn't make any sence. First off there isn't much weight in the rear of and it will be saggin pretty good in the front.

Can't relocate the shackle hangers. On a '76+ Jeep CJ, the driver side shackle hanger and steering box mounting bracket share two mounting holes:
View

I wouldn't be using the full leaf pack, just the main leaf and possibly the second leaf combined with some mix of what I already have. The packs that are on there now use the first 3 leaves from Cherokee 4-leaf rear packs and the bottom 2 leaves from Wrangler 5-leaf rear packs. The rears consist of the 3 leaves from Comanche rear packs (tossed the overloads) and the leftover bottom leaf from the Cherokee spring packs. All friction surfaces are coated with Slip-Plate graphite paint and the ends of the leaves are fitted with teflon pads. The 'bend over' spring clamps were also removed and I had them refitted with the u-bolt style and replaced the rear main eye bushings with Johnny Joints. Engine is a 4.0 I6 from a '95 Wrangler. Building this strictly for wheeling and the spring packs will be tweaked as I go. The rear springs are generally the most susceptible to sagging on an SOA suspension and when setting up Jeeps, rear spring packs are favored all the way around since they're setup to handle a payload & towing rather than just the weight of the engine. Since an Explorer is a heavier vehicle with a higher payload and tow rating, I don't see where it doesn't make sense to run these up front.

Well I guess it's worth a try then, I see that no one has given you the measurements yet. My explorer is sitting at a friends house because he busted his front and rear driveline in one of his own mud holes, I tried to pull him out but he's dead weight. If no one has given you the measurement by the time I go get my truck. Then I will get it for you.

Take care,
Knut

Here are the measurements I got..
from edge of eye to edge of eye straight across I got 55 3/4"
From edge of eye to edge of eye across the arch I got 57"
with the spring upside down.. I got 5 7/8" between the spring and the ground

The springs are 2.5" wide.. are 3" wide at the bushing.

Hope this helps..

Thanks, that's just what I needed. Looks like those are comparable to the Comanche springs I have on the back...3-4" too long for the front. Thanks again.

Back