• Register Today It's free!

Need name (code) for transmission

exigent

Reaction score
City, State
detroit, mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 xlt
My Dad's 2000 xlt 4x4 V6 just decided it no longer likes the 2-3 shift. Im setting about looking into some parts for the fix that I've identified but I have NO idea what ford calls this trans. CD4E or AOD4 you know a code like that.... Please let me know if you know or even where I mite look.... googleing is really getting to me... heck thats how I found you site!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If its a 5 speed automatic than you have the 5R55E. If its the 4 speed automatic than you have the 4R55E.

Thank You!!!

Thank you very much. You are a life saver... or at the very least a time saver!

Are you sure it is the 2>3 shift? Try it in manual 2 to see if it is solid. Manual 2 is actually third (intermediate band). Just one of those things that seems obviously wrong but isn't. Like that Napolean was not French, but we all learned in school that he couldn't even speak French till he was an adult. This is a 5R55E and a manual can be purchased for $16 from www.bulkpart.com if you want to learn more. Second is made up from intermediate and overdrive. This transmission has a history of blowing out valve body gaskets that are in the realm of a home job.

Thanks again.

K. Here's the deal... i can rebuild the whole darn thing myself if i wanted to... like you mentioned I did read about the gasket and im betting that's what it is. Now since I cant get the darn thing to go through the gears and I've never drove it I really need to find out wether its the five speed or the four speed. There must be an easier way to find this out.... I apreciate the codes and I know of bulkpart but that still doesnt tell me exactly what trans it is. Window sticker is out too... this was bought used. Is the code or some other distigueshing caracteristic stamped on the outside of the trans? Also... from what you said it sounds like I can pull the valve body while the trans is installed... is that true?

I'm pretty sure the SOHC V6's came with the 5spd 5R55E, while the OHV V6's came with the 4spd 4R55E. Though I'm a V8 guy, so correct me if I'm wrong.

And yes, the valve body can come down with the trans in the truck.

Here's what I got in my manual:

91 to 94 models: A4LD

95 and 96 V6 models: 4R55E

96 and later V8: 4R70W

97 and later V6: 5R55E

Hope this helps.

Hey, what about the W. I never say never when it comes to Ford. I have a 97 OHV and that takes an air filter to a V8. Even heard you can replace a 4R55E with a 5R55E and no computer change. Not sure if the reverse is possible. Anyway, you still have a door sticker TR = D = 5R55E. Funny how that doesn't work with the A4LD and the 4R55E that have the same code. Feeling warm and fuzzy yet? There is almost no chance you have a 4R55E. Still not convinced, the 5R55E will not have a speed sensor in the OD section. Unless it is a 97. Oh, I'd better stop. I'm not helping anything.

Haha.... Slightly off topic, but my 97 V8 was made in the midst of the changes between the GT40P and GT40 engines and is funky as such. I can't get white faced gauges becuase my dashboard has a little bit of 96 and a little bit of 99. Explain that!!

Back