Need New Ball Joints? Buyers Guide | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need New Ball Joints? Buyers Guide

SR77

Reaction score
City, State
Central NJ
I have a 1996 Explorer Limited 5.0L AWD with 92,000 miles and am hearing a wobble noise from the front and figure its in need of some Ball Joints. I did a search and there are so many different answers for this that is was getting confusing. I called Ford and they said that neither the Upper or Lower Ball Joints on my truck are replaceable and I need to order the whole control arms. Are they Right? I thought I read that the lowers can be replaced and the uppers need the whole control arm. For you Ball Joint experts, What options do I have for both Upper and Lower Ball Joint Replace other then Ford OE parts on my truck? The Ford prices weren't to bad, but if I can do better in both price and quality with aftermarket I will go with that. I have read alot about Moog parts but am unsure what I need. I know that the Upper Passenger is a 2 piece arm and the Driver is one piece, do they have to get replaced with Ford parts or is there aftermarket available in this setup. Basically I need a Buyers Guide for Ball Joints. 1) What Aftermarket Options are out there for Ball Joint Replacement. 2) What Parts Exactly I need to Order to do the Job? 3) Any other info I need to know that I have not mentioned. thanks for all the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The lower balljoints are replacable via a ball joint press that you can rent at an auto parts store or buy. The uppers are not replacable, you need to buy the whole control arms. The drivers side will be a one piece unit while the passenger side will be a two piece unit. I would strongly suggest replacing your balljoints with Moog units that have 10 more degrees of articulation and are greasable. You can get them from rockauto.com for a reasonable price.

Moog, Moog, and uh, if the place is out of those i would go somewere else and buy Moog. :D

Check to see if it actually is your balljoints. Bad torsion bar adjusters can make a "wobble" sound also.

Forgot about that, the 96 actually had a re-call on front sway bar links. Replaced mine long ago.

I replaced mine as well long ago with ES poly links. However, after replacing both balljoints and still having a clunk, i decided to replace them anyway as they are pretty cheap. Now that I have, the clunk i still had is gone. They all wear out eventually, even the aftemarket polyurethane ones.

Thanks for the replys. If I go with the Moog Parts, I buy the 2 lower ball joints themselves that can just be replaced in the conrol arms on the truck now, Correct? And for the Upper Control arms, are the Moog ones from rockauto the complete control arm and do they come in the 2 piece for the passenger side and one piece for the driver? The Moog Upper control arms are replaceable ball joint units for futer serviceing, Correct? Just want to make sure I got this all right and I am not ordering the wrong stuff. I am pretty sure the endlinks were replaced in the recall, but I will check those also, and I will also check the torsion bar adjusters. Last time I was looking under my truck for front end noises both the endlinks and torsion bars looked ok, is there something to look for or some way to check them to see if they are in need of replacement? I know sometimes looks can be deceiving. thanks again for you guys help.

For the lower arms, there will just be 2 balljoints (one per side)

For the upper arms, there will be one complete arm and one "half arm". You dont need the second piece on the passenger side... you re-use the stocker.

james t said:
Forgot about that, the 96 actually had a re-call on front sway bar links. Replaced mine long ago.

Really? I never knew this :banghead:

Its all good.. I just run them disconected now.

great, thanks for all the help. i am going to go and see if I can get all of this from rockauto.

The lower balljoints are replacable via a ball joint press that you can rent at an auto parts store or buy. The uppers are not replacable, you need to buy the whole control arms. The drivers side will be a one piece unit while the passenger side will be a two piece unit. I would strongly suggest replacing your balljoints with Moog units that have 10 more degrees of articulation and are greasable. You can get them from rockauto.com for a reasonable price.

I am looking on rockauto to get some new ball joints (moog ones of course) and I am having trouble figuring out which one I need to get. I have a 96 Explorer XLT 4.0 V6. There are 2 different options for front lower ball joints made by moog and I am trying to figure out what the difference is.

Here is one of them that works: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=203594&cc=1119653

And here is the other one:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1377985&cc=1119653

Let me know if I am missing anything or if one is better than the other, etc.
Thanks guys! :D

Probably more of a PITA than it's worth. Only way of measuring is with the
ball joints removed and a caliper. Depending on whether they're original or how
many times they've been changed, I'd take a chance with the standard size. GL

Or if you are buying locally, get a pair of each and return the unused ones. ;)

Thanks! That's a great explanation! Although how would I go about measuring the ball joint receptacle opening size? I would imagine that you would use a micrometer (which I don't have), but even then I would not be sure how to measure a hole with such tool. Is there something else that would be used for this type of scenario?

Most auto parts stores or Harbor Freight sells a cheap digital caliper for $20 or less. Good addition to the tool box for stuff like this.

Probably more of a PITA than it's worth. Only way of measuring is with the
ball joints removed and a caliper. Depending on whether they're original or how
many times they've been changed, I'd take a chance with the standard size. GL

Or if you are buying locally, get a pair of each and return the unused ones. ;)

I would assume they are original, but you never know. I know they need replacing because when the car is lifted, you can move the wheel up and down slightly which (from my understanding) indicates that the ball joint is worn and need replacing soon. In addition, the boot on both lower ball joints are also broken revealing the grease which I would assume could get problematic off roading :p:

I would look into Raybestos Professional Grade products. Moog has gone downhill since 2004 when the above advice was given out.

I would look into Raybestos Professional Grade products. Moog has gone downhill since 2004 when the above advice was given out.

Really? Do you mean they went downhill in terms of quality over the years? (I also just got some Raybestos brakes, so that good to hear they are of good quality)

Does anybody else agree with what IAmTodd says?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree too... It seems Moog went to mostly cheap crap not long after this was posted.

Back