need new ball joints?

frogman

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit Lakes, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT 4x4
Greetings all-
I put on a set of BFG ATs in Nov of last year and just noticed some pretty good cupping on the inside of the front tires. I always get an alignment with new tires and so was thinking that couldn't be the problem. I had the tires rotated again and set off to the alignment rack to give it a check. Expecting to have a $49 or some odd bill I was told that both lower ball joints are bad and a bill of $500 is the reality. I am still in a bit of shock...is this in the "ballpark" for lower ball joints????

Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ball joints(factory ones) don't last very long on the Ex. They are total crap. When you replace them, buy a not factory greasable ball joint, and they should last longer. Ball joints are a big job, but 500 is a little steep. You could do better at another shop, I think.

I've read, in this Forum, that Moog makes good, grease-able ball joints.

lower ball joint are not that hard. I busted out a set of lowers today in the matter of a hour !!
If you have some mechanical ability you can do them yourself. its all nut and bolt !!

the book states 4 hour for lowers... takes the average person 1.5 hours !!

im afraid that i am in the same predicament as froggy...

unwillin to shell out $5-600 for labor alone, i would like to try to accomplish this myself.

my question would be, what do i need to look out for?

how can i tell which ones i should replace?

Uh, maybe for labor 5-600, but the actuall lower ball joints run i believe around 40-50 bucks a piece. And i also have read that they are VERY easy to do yourself.

i must disagree on lasting..

Mbrooks420 said:
Ball joints(factory ones) don't last very long on the Ex. They are total crap. When you replace them, buy a not factory greasable ball joint, and they should last longer. Ball joints are a big job, but 500 is a little steep. You could do better at another shop, I think.

I have a 93 and the factory ball joints and everything in the front end made it to 170,000..i still have factory exhaust system, in fact , other than brakes ,& a fuel pump i just put on, everything is still factory ...it is a miracle vehicle...

Back