Need new brake proportioning valve | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need new brake proportioning valve

Teddydog

Reaction score
City, State
Dupont, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer XLT
In the last couple of weeks, I developed a bit of a brake fluid leak. Finally got it into the shop and had it looked at and they said it was the brake proportioning valve leaking (and therefore starting to fail). They said it was a dealer-only item and over $300. Is there actually another source for new or rebuilt? Or is a junk-yard part OK? I've done some Googling and haven't yet come up with one online, but there MUST be somewhere I can get one (hopefully much cheaper that new from the dealer). Help!

92 Explorer XLT 4x4 w/ rear ABS only.

Thanks!

Rob

Proportioning valve? I don't think 91-94 Explorers have one. Maybe he meant the ABS Hydraulic Control Unit(HCU)?

That's what the shop called it. Said it was mounted just below the master cylinder and was leaking onto the frame rail and running down to where I saw the drips under the truck. If that's not the proper name for the unit, that might explain why I can't seem to find one online anywhere.

Rob

EDIT: looking in my Haynes and some parts houses, now, I think it is called the RABS valve or sometimes a Modulator Valve. MSRP is $337 and I think I can get a reman for about $150.

Back