Need new leather for steering wheel or new steering wheel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need new leather for steering wheel or new steering wheel

tlambing

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
kansas city
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
I have an '05 ST XLT that I have had since 2007. Running into a few things that I need to replace now that seem to be hard to find. The foam under the leather steering wheel has deteriorated and my steering wheel leather has worn to the point that there are a few holes. I'd like to replace this foam and the leather with the factory leather or as close as possible... I've found others that would work but aren't cut the same. Curious- does anyone know where to find these? Also, I was told perhaps best way to go is to find a steering wheel in good shape. I have the grey interior and wonder if anyone has one of these for sale as a back up option? I've had this truck for a long time and want it in pristine shape- no aftermarket cover type stuff... any help would be greatly appreciated...

Anyone use a shop to redo leather? I guess I could ship my steering wheel off too....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It has the same steering wheel as every '94-'04 Mustang, there are a few places you can buy complete wheels or replacement leather kits for them... LMR.com and redlinegoods.com come to mind, but there may still be a few others.

It has the same steering wheel as every '94-'04 Mustang, there are a few places you can buy complete wheels or replacement leather kits for them... LMR.com and redlinegoods.com come to mind, but there may still be a few others.
thank you

Wheelskins makes a nice wrap for them, just get the ax size and cut the old leather off.

Wheelskins makes a nice wrap for them, just get the ax size and cut the old leather off.
Saw their online catalog. They have nice selections.

This is how mine turned out, very pleased with it.

I filled the two factory seam gaps with jb weld putty, sanded them smooth. Then cut a new one straight down.
IMG_20210306_175718091.jpg

IMG_20210306_175711888.jpg

That looks very nice.

Back