• Register Today It's free!

Need New Rear End

Gatorblazer

Reaction score
City, State
Moody, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer, 09 Mazda 5
I just upgraded from 30x9.50 to a 31x10.50. I thought that the stock 3.27 would push it ok, and it does, but man it really needs something else. If anyone is sitting on another rear end that might want to get rid of, let me know. I'd really like to keep the rear discs if possible. Hopefully I'll get pics up soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'd be better off just changing the gears than replacing the entire rear diff. Just pick up a set of gears and a master kit and pay someone the labor.

I thought about that as well. $200 from Randy's for a 4.10 isnt bad. Maybe there could be a bunch of homebrew (dogfish head 90 clone) for a volunteer installer?

I'll do $178.00 for a Yukon set of 8.8 4.10's.

Not a bad price. If there are no other options, that will be the one I will go with.

Anybody else have any other ideas?

Don't forget you'll need to re gear the front too if it's 4x4...

2wd so its ok. This is just a towing rig that sees occasional green field use.

Just re-gear your axle if it's a 2wd. Not worth swapping out the axle if you already have a 31 spline with discs. I can't recall any Explorers that came stock with 4.10's so it may not be an option to swap anyway.
Definitely go with 4.10's. I had 3.73's on my 97 explorer with 31's and it wasn't low enough still.

some 6 cylinders with the towing package came with 4.10's so that's always another option if you don't want to mess with swapping gears.

Hit a local junkyard and learn how to read axle codes. I found 3 4.10 8.8s for $200 when I was walking around the junkyard a month ago. If the brakes are bad you can move your discs over no problem and maybe even sell the unit you have to a jeeper for $150 vs. buying gears for 200 bucks plus an install kit plus install.

Im leaning towards the junkyard, I think it will be cheaper and easier. Axle codes are no big deal, just wanted to know which was the easier swap.

The 4.10's are def. out there because we got in a load of surplus front diffs from Ford and they were ALLLLLL 4.10's. We had to re gear them because they weren't worth anything.

I bought a re-geared front diff from someone off this board to save money, said to be in great shape. When I installed it the pinion seal leaked like nobodies business. I had to pull it again and take it to a shop. While the replaced the pinion seal, the checked the gear setup and said it wasn't setup probably anyway.
Just something to consider.

Checked at PullaPart. I can get a whole rear assembly for $68.88. I should be able to throw that under there, change fluid and be ok. I will probably change u joints while I'm there just to be safe.

pick and pulls are really the best way to go mainly cause they offer some sort of warranty and you can check everything when your taking it out. I drive about an hour away to out pick an pulls but the money you save makes up for it.

No kidding. I think half the truck is pull a part.

FYI, Im shocked no one bit on the homebrew offer......

Hey, Eric... How much would you charge for 4.10s for both the front and rear?

[98 AWD]

Back