need new tires | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need new tires

I need new tires. I live in New Hampshire so I have snow to deal with (I plow with the X), rain and I like to off road now and then. i don't do rock crawling mostly wood trails. they are snowmobile trails that i help work on for the local club.

I have Sears TrailHandlers now, 31x10.5. Yes I am serious. got them really cheap from my brother. i need new tires and that work. lasted me 2 yrs. Simalier tread to the old BFG's.

Well I know need something skinner for plowing. So I am thinking of stock height but really don't want to. Here are some sizes and tires I am looking at. Tell me what u think and what is the best u have use. thanks!

Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo
235/75-15 or 265/70-15

Yoko Geolander A/T +11
235/75-15 or 30x9.5-15 or 31x10.5-15

Michlein LTX A/T
235/75-15 or 31x10.5

BFG All Terrain T/A KO's
235/75-15 or 30x9.5-15 or 31x10.5-15

Pirelli Scorpion A/T
235/75-15 or 255/75-15

Kumho Road Ventura AT 825
235/75-15 or 255/70-15 or 265/70-15

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by 2001ExpSport
Well, as long as we know who is right....LOL:p

Just kidding man......:chug:

that would have to bee an A & W float in my glass, bro...i'm not 21 yet.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by 2001ExpSport
Well, as long as we know who is right....LOL:p

Oh.. so now you believe me about the lack of a BFG warranty! ;)

the Dueler AT Revo's are great tires, but expensive

Not true. When i was buying tires this summer, it came down to the Revo's and BFG KO's. Everywhere I looked, the BFG's were more expensive and offered no warranty. Bridgestone gave me a great warranty and a great tire at a great price. I'm definately sold on the REVO's. They will definately handle anything i'll ever throw at em. (And they happen to be the highest ranked AT tire on the market ...)

Originally posted by Hokie
Oh.. so now you believe me about the lack of a BFG warranty! ;)

about BFG's warranty, yes. i was mistaken.

but, as shown, Discount tire can issue them because mine are warrantied....paperwork is paperwork and thats a contract by michigan law. and yet, i will probably never put more than 20-30k on them.

well of course the BFG's are more expensive, but the revos around 120 bucks a tire starting

hey! a NH guy!! I live over the river in VT. Let me tell ya, I had Cooper Discoverer A/T's on my ex last winter (yeah THAT winter!!) and they were awesome in snow! can't say enough about them. This winter I'm gonna try the Dueler Revo's in stock size. I wanted to upsize, but can't justify the cost just yet. If money is much of a concern, the Discoverers are a great value, I'm sure. My truck came with them already on it though, so I can't say how the pricing is first-hand. Duelers are new and I'm not sure how they do in snow, but a proven snow-worthy A/T tire is definately the Cooper, believe it or not!

EDIT: I've HEARD...that Pirelli's are basically a joke when it comes to snow, by the way...and I here this winter will be worse than last!!

yeah this winter is suppose to be nasty. i can't wait!!! got to get that snowmobile fixed, lol.

I think I am going to go with BFG's or snows. i can't decide. it will come down to $ and what i have at the time.

yeah, i'm curious to see how they do in snow, as well as the duelers, too. I'm just wondering whether to get stock 235/75, for better snow grip, or wider 265/70 for better normal handling... The 265's are just a couple bucks more per tire, so costs aren't a huge deal...but I want to fully exploit my bilstein shocks!! :) The stock size (worn) cooper discoverer's don't let me do that. Anyone know if LT tires grip asphalt better or worse than Passenger tires?

Oh...which snows might you get? The standard is usually Nokians, right?

the snows i am looking at now are kelly's winter something or other. my local tire warehouse guy suggested them. he has a lot of people running them and they like them. i would stick with 235 for the winter. a skinner tire is always best for the snow.

yeah i know...but a 265 is basically like a 30x9.5 which i could get away with without having to trim or replace my spare or anything! :p ARRGHHH!! Plus I'll be taking advantage of better handling much more often than having maybe a 5% increase in snow traction. So far I think it's a good way to go. If I don't like them I'll "accidentally" implement my warranty somehow...:D

Back