Need opinions on aftermarket quick struts - what brand to use. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need opinions on aftermarket quick struts - what brand to use.

Explorer_PL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
I think I am in serious need of new struts all around. Looking at Monroe 171124 / 171125. The total comes to about $ 450-500.
I see other brands: Complete Struts and some other no names.
If someone did that job, what did you use and how are they holding up ?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nothing wrong with those Monroes. KYB is also a good brand, and they are becoming more popular as mainstream aftermarket replacements. Not sure about Gabrials. Just watch out...Monroe and other brands also sell cheaper "economy" units. If the Monroes actually say "Quick-Struts" those are their top-shelf. And by top-shelf, I simply mean standard OEM replacements. I don't want any Bilstein snobs getting mad at me!!

Why would the "quick strut" be the top-shelf unit? I thought those were just pre-packaged strut+coil+mount?

I am looking at the Rancho quicklift RS9000XL for the front. They don't make the Quicklift for the rears anymore. They are ride adjustable. I just don't know what to do about the rears on my '07. Any suggestions anyone?

Why would the "quick strut" be the top-shelf unit? I thought those were just pre-packaged strut+coil+mount?
I'm not saying that a pre-assembled kit is better than the components within. I'm saying that Monroe (and likely other brands) have different tiers/quality of those components. I just checked their website, and if you look at "Products - Strut-Assemblies", you will see:
1. Quick-Strut: Click "Learn more" and you will see that the strut is "Premium" quality, "delivers improved control...". I think it uses the OESpectrum or Reflex line of dampers, depending on the application.
2. Road-Matic: Click "Learn more" and you will see it's an "economical replacement" that only "meets" OE specs. I think it uses the "Monroe-Matic" line of economy dampers.

I ordered Monroe's , the better ones 171124 and 171125. The total was $ 460 after 5% discount and free shipping from Shockwarehouse.com. I checked all the websites and they had the best pricing. I could get all 4 "Complete Struts" for about $ 250 but was not sure about quality. I clock lots of miles so it needs to last. I read some reviews on some no-names quick struts breaking down on the first pothole it met. $ 200 won't make me richer :)
Long weekend is coming ...struts, brakes, rotors, tranny service.
It'll be busy weekend.

Back