Need opinions on damaged amp from cardomain.com | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need opinions on damaged amp from cardomain.com

hydroxy

I like to fiddle...
Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Limited v6
So, I ordered a JBL 1200.1D amplifier from CarDomain.com. It said it was refurbished on the website, but in 'like-new' condition. It was $75 cheaper then anywhere else I had seen.

Well I got the amp today, opened it up, only to see that there was a decently sized 'scratch/dent' in the top left corner of the JBL faceplate. I called up CarDomain and they said that because it was refurbished, it was subject to cosmetic blemishes, but was electrically sound. They offered to give me a refund minus shipping costs, and I would have to ship it back to them.

However, I went and checked the website and it doesn't say ANYTHING about cosmetic problems.
10058ad.JPG

So I called back up and told them that I thought I was being ripped off because of what their website said (or didn't say) about the cosmetic condition of the amp. The guy tried to play it off and didn't want to do anything until we just sat in dead silence for about 30 seconds. Then he said 'hang on'. Came back and said that they would give me a full refund and pay for shipping back to them. I then asked if, instead of me shipping it back to them at their cost, if they could just give me the money it would cost them to have it shipped back. He said OK - I could get $15 back.

I dont want to return the amp, because I want to start working on the amp housing over thanksgiving break, so I need your opinions about what to do. I was thinking I could just cover the faceplate with something else, or even paint the faceplate to cover up the scratch. It isn't THAT noticable, but definetly visible. However, keeping the amp - I get a 1year warrenty from JBL - something I doubt I would get off eBay or something.

Let me know what you think I should do.

10058IMG_0886_Large_.JPG

10058IMG_0885_Large_.JPG

10058IMG_0884_Large_.JPG

10058IMG_0881_Large_.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dman726749 said:
also if you look at the apperance section of the add, its only 4/5 stars....but they would use that against you

That is a review... not a statement by CarDomain....

Just make you some sort of trim piece that goes around the JBL plate and cover it. I don't think anyone would notice something that small. You can't beat a 1 year warranty at that price. It really just depends on how bad it bothers you. But I would just make some sort of frame type piece that would cover it up and no one would ever know but you.

be happy you got it for the price with a warranty and figure out how to hide it if your that concerned with cosmetics. or sell it at a profit and buy another one.

Definitely keep it. The amp is worth the money (I am running two of them) even with that little bit of damage. Also, just thought I should mention, I have had great experience with the cardomain customer support. With my one order I have had two different problems and they fixed them both at their cost so I thought I should put in a good word for them.

make a new little faceplate... maybe use a piece of plexi, etch the jbl logo on there, backlight it with led or something....

refurbished items are items previously sent back for repairs or were not working when they got to the store.. They are never going to be in A1 condition. If you want something that is in perfect condition you are going to have to pony up and buy the brand new item..

With the scratch that is on it I woldn't worry about it.. It doesn't effect the fact that the amp works or not.. Unless this is a show vehicle its going to get more scratches than that..

also "like-new" can be interpreted many ways.. In no way did they say that the cases were undamaged.

Id say just cut the corners off of all four sides and try to make it look like its SUPPOSED to be that way. i dont think a defect that small is worth fretting over. I guess it depends on how you mount it tho, I like to keep my amp hidden for looks and for security(I would just stick it behind the rear quarter panel trim and maybe run a fan back there)

Back