Need opinions on this... rear chrome trim..... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need opinions on this... rear chrome trim.....

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB V8
I took off the chrome trim on the rear quarter panels by the bumper. I haven't yet decided what to do about it. They are not really chrome, they are polished chunks of metal. I could paint them black I guess. Maybe put back just the black plastic strip so it covers the holes. The only thing being visable would be the rubber body plug. I'm un-decided on what to do. I will be replacing the rear bumper with a black one. And converted the front already to all black.
Opinions wanted, comments welcome.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/150979571/176096085ZtEQbx
http://community.webshots.com/photo/150979571/176096137gRHHdf

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess a '96 (2nd Gen.) is slightly different. However, I was going to do the same. I'd like to swap out my chrome bumper for a painted one and get rid of the chrome 'tupperware' for the painted version. But, my truck is Mocha Frost (kind of a champagne gold) and I think I'm going to go with the grey color like the step pad on the top of your rear bumper. I'm going to leave the 'tupperware' trim but just paint it (if I can't find the painted version). I didn't know what was behind that trim, it's kind of ugly to leave exposed. I was also thinking of running my tailpipe out thru that portion of the quarter panel (on the passenger side). I saw that done on a Chevy pickup and it looked pretty sweet.

My $0.02 - Dave.

I did the same thing and painted both my front and rear bumpers black. I just cut that piece off with a cutting wheel and now it looks a little open because you can see the frame, however I eventually plan on replacing it with a tube bumper that wraps around over that gap and plan on running the ehxuast pipe between the tubes.

Are you getting that tube bumper made or buying it? I'd love a tube bumper but can't find anyone who makes one. Smittybilt used to have a front & rear tube bumper but they don't make it anymore.

I was going to have it made down the road as I have not been able to find any company that makes a decent bumper for 1st Gen Explorers.

I removed mine along time ago, along with convertion ALL chroem to black on my truck looks good i think, i also ran mien without the goofy body plug in it.....

I thought it looked good, only thing i didnt like was people always asking what happened or why is it like that?

I jsut said, um, i took them off, they woudl usually give me a wierd look....

heres a picture with mien gone, old picture, but it shows you....

Attachments

• eliteregistry5.jpg
    eliteregistry5.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 118

Back