Need picture'd troubleshooting

oakbeach

Reaction score
City, State
SOUTH SWEDEN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Hey!

New to both car and choice of car and of course this forum.

Have fixed most trouble on car myself but need some advice/help with the rest.

1. Low gear button at dashboard dosnt work, no clue how to check or what problem it is, if its just the button or the woul system? so troubleshooting help with that.

2.Changing sealing and oil in rear axel, what amount of oil and wich?
i have bought cork carpet and gonna cutt that up and seal it and bought 4 liter of transmission oil mineral 80-90w API GL-5. is that good enought and will it work and is 4 liter enouth?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Low Gear: For automatic trans, it must be in neutral and the vehicle must not be moving. For manual trans, clutch must be in, and also, I believe the vehicle must not be moving.

Fluid is 3 quarts of 75W-90 oil. That's 2.8 liters. If you have limited slip differential, add a container of friction modifier. To find out if you have limited slip, search this forum for articles on axle codes.

I used a tube of Permatex Ultra-Grey sealant, no gasket.

I want to mention something else. You may find and be surprised if you find you have a plastic cover installed. I wish I had known, I would have replaced it with a steel one.

If you are going to do the rear differential fluid, make sure you can get the fill plug off the front of the differential BEFORE you pull the cover. I've heard of a few people who drained their fluid only to find they couldn't get the fluid back in since they couldn't get the fill plug open.

Also, When you say you can't get low range (I'm assuming you mean 4x4 low) you have to do what was posted above AND be in 4x4 high already..

~Mark

i have leakage in the oil pan at engine, so gonna use same kind of gasket and fill it up with new oil after. and the diff is leaking, gonna buy right oil for that tomorrow.

gonna try the neutral thingy to see if it works, guess i need to go outside and wheel lock my front wheels in the center and go back and neutral the car and stand still.

any idea how much you need to tighten the bolts on diff and oil pan after the work?

gonna buy Trans Castrol Syntrax Longlife full syntetic 75W-90 for my transmission and using a syntetic ford standard oil for the engine. guess i can use same in diff as both are 75-90w?!

Back