• Register Today It's free!

Need pinion torque specs.

sched44

Reaction score
City, State
Hollowville, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
I would appreciate the following information for my '95 Xplorer XLT from anyone who has it:

For Dana 35 front axle:
-bearing preload in in. lbs. for used bearings
-pinion nut torque in ft. lbs.

For 8.8 traction-lok rear:
-bearing preload in in. lbs. for used bearings
-pinion nut torque in ft. lbs

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i need the same but for a 92:confused: :confused: :confused:

from my 91 FSM

preload- used 8-14 inch-lb ( new 17-27 in/lbs)

pinion torque 160 Ft/lb- note if pinion bearing preload exceeds specification before this torque is obtained, install new spacer.

Dana 35
Pinion preload 15-25 in/lbs
Pinion nut- 200-350 ft lbs

Have fun

thanks dude,

Thanks for the info. You've been very helpful. Helm has been out of this manual for quite a while now. I'm using the factory manuals for my '92 F-150 where they can help.

There's something different about the preload spec for an 8.8 traction-lok (limited slip) as opposed to a standard 8.8 diferential, isn't there?

The axle is in the vehicle and this is a post pinion seal replacement.

Originally posted by sched44

There's something different about the preload spec for an 8.8 traction-lok (limited slip) as opposed to a standard 8.8 diferential, isn't there?

Funny thing is yes... the preload on a open with new bearings is 16-29inch/lbs vs the 17-27 inch/lbs with the Trac-Lok. Not sure why, the ranges overlap but they are different values for each axle. Curious. The values for used bearings are the same.

Also from the same chart
: trak-lok, Minimun rotating torque required during bench check after assembly, or in vehicle with one wheel on the ground for original clutch pack - 20 Ft/LBS

Good Luck

Thanks much SteveVB. I appreciate the info. and the education.

John S. (sched44)

Ford Certified Technician

Take it from me I have been working for ford for a long time. Set the pinion preload on the 8.8 at 14 inch pounds if you have used bearings only. If you put new bearings set it at 26 inch lbs. back lash on your ring and pinion gear should be .008 in to .015 in. I prefer
setting it at .012 in. Now for the dana pinion preload should be 17 with used bearings or 26 inch lbs with new bearings and the ring & pinion gear backlash should be .005 to .008 inches. This is brought to you by me you friendly ford certified technician of Texas.:cool:

Ford Certified Technician

Just to clear any misunderstanding on checking preload
WHEN CHECKING PRELOAD THE CARRIER SHOULD NOT BE INSTALLED IN THE HOUSING NOR THE AXLES, ONLY THE PINION SO IT MAY FREE WHEEL. USING AN INCH LBS TORQUE WRENCH WITH NEEDLE POINTER TO SEE AMOUNT OF TORQUE BEING APPLIED, PLACE WRENCH AND SOCKET ON NUT AND TURN, HOW MUCH IT TAKES TO KEEP IT CONSTANTLY TURNING IS YOUR PRELOAD.
Your welcome.:frustrate

Back