Need pitman arm install help | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Need pitman arm install help

davy crockett

Reaction score
City, State
British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XL
My fa600 pitman finally showed, it's the last piece I'm waiting on to finish my project, but I'm having a bit of trouble with it.

I can't get the pitman to seat fully on the steering shaft no matter how hard I crank on the nut. I don't have air so I'm torquing it on with a ratchet and a big cheater bar. There's about 1/8 an inch yet before the splines on the output shaft are flush with the bottom of the pitman. It's not much but I don't want to take any chances with something so critical and I'm sure the stock arm seated fully.

I have a picture of how far it's on the shaft now, I now the quality is poor but does this look typical?

Attachments

• pit1.jpg
    pit1.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 158

jd4242

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
thats the way mine looks.i believe its tapered

davy crockett

Reaction score
City, State
British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XL
It is tapered. I just wasn't sure if the pitman should seat further or not. Looking at it today, not after a 10 hour day working on it, I can see the arm is as far on the spline as it can go. I'm going with it.