Need possitive feedback. ( any feedback ) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need possitive feedback. ( any feedback )

Reaction score
City, State
Lima, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
I am waiting on a platium limited, 301, second row buckets, voice activated navigation, luxury seating, bliss, moonroof, trailer package, polished aliminum, mud guards, and inflatable belts. Build date 4-11-11. The problem is all the problems I read about in this forum. I can't tell how serious these problems are or if its worth the gamble. I am fortunate to have a dealer I trust but some of the computer problems seem to be new to service people. Anyone who could help put this in perspective would be greatly apprechiated. Thanks for any and all advice. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't worry to much about it. Like I've seen on the site before. You see alot of problems here, because this is where people come to figure out their problems. I have a Limited and it works beautifully. MFT is working great and so is the rest of the Ex. As it has also been stated here on this site. This is a new design and there are bound to be some issues. None of which has been major. Minor tweaks. Ford seems to be holding up to their end and fixing the minor issues. A good show of transparency on their behalf. Get your Ex and explore the wonders that await you. Believe me, it's one sweet ride.

When people have a problem, they search the internet for help. These forums provide that help. So what you see on here is likely not an accurate representation of all 2011 Explorer owners.

So far, I think the problems are relatively minor and are things that can be easily fixed by a software upgrade or a trip to the dealer. As a new owner on a completely new vehicle, you should probably expect to have your EX at the dealer more often than you wish to have it there. You'll experience more recalls and more updates than an established line.

I agree w/jedimike. I am only 8 hrs into ownership, but here is my experience. California Bay Area. Order Limited with one-off items rather than packages. With the help of this forum I was given knowledge about obtaining VIN numbers and tracking. My Dealer was professional and helpful. Build date was 3/24 and ETA was "spot on". 4/8

Rebates and incentives: When ordered, I was offered the $1000 rebate, and again, with help from this forum I learned about the $750 rebate that MIGHT also be available if you went online and ordered the Explorer pamphlet. Armed with this latest rebate, when I went to pick up my vehicle I was HOPING to get both. My rep said, "Oh, that. I always check just before a customer picks up his/her car to see if i can get additional Ford rebates. I've already discounted your vehicle an additional $750." Go figure!

I used the Consumer Reports online pricing tool. Fix price offered from dealers in your area. No dealing with sales people at the dealership. You get a price, and if you like it, you go in and make a the deal. It's relatively new (I think)

Technology.... I'm in that line of work. I had (and still do) a lot of reservations about the tech stuff. While i think many behind the scenes software improvements are still needed and are on the way, I have to say that I test drove a number of early Explorers with older software versions and my new Ver 2.7 is a vast improvement. Faster response and flawless phone sync (i know, only 8 hrs and things can go south fast... but this was a huge concern for me, and so far - so good).

Ride is smooth, quiet and comfortable.

So, you want a good report? Here it. I hope I don't have to report back later with negative updates.

Oh, one more thing. On the voice recognition (and i think we are all guilty of this). When I first gave commands, I was somewhat deliberate in my delivery. My dealer said, "It's ok, talk fast". When i started to talk like I was talking to an individual, lo and behold... works pretty darn good. Now you can't go talkin like that schmuck at the end of commercials on TV... but yeah, talk normal and works darn good.

Speaking for those who have had problems (Mines been back for work 3 times), the problems are relatively minor and associated with first year build. Mine was in the 6000's. I would buy it again in a heart beat, no remorse, look forward to getting in and driving every day.
Problems: Defective battery, misaligned tailgate, loose steering wheel. Very minor and spotty A-pillar noise will need to get resolved at some point. Waiting to ensure the fix is well documented.

Only problem mine had was the Sync system occasionally not recognizing my phone. An update to the system fixed that.

Followup has been great for me. My early build XLT 11/23 has had a few issues, A pillar rattle, recall on second row seat and the last item is a defective windshield (allover sparklies or spots) which will be replaced next week. The windshield issue has been back twice for pictures and after the service manager was getting nowhere with Ford I called the 1-800 hotline. Within two days a team was put on my problem and within two days approved the fix, Ford seems like they want to address all the issues and on a first year vehicle there are some.
After 5000 miles and our 13th new Ford, this is the best one. Do not lose the faith. This is an awesome product and will be the top Xuv on the market.

We took delivery of our Limited X last Tuesday and so far it's been a great experience.

No problems that I can report at this point.

MFT has not been the horror some have reported, but we have v2.8. Yes, there are occasions where a button is slow to respond, but it's not the end of the world. The first day we had it the clock changed times twice, but since then it has not happened. The Voice Recognition, the few times I've guessed at what the proper commands are, has worked perfectly. I just need to learn the commands, so I don't blame MFT for that.

As many other have said, watch your speed, because the ride is so smooth and quiet, your going 60 before you even realize it. No problems with power in my book, and the real-time fuel economy display is great feedback for helping to drive efficiently. It's almost a game - how can you keep the reading above 20 MPG as much as possible :)

Overall, with less than a week of driving, it's a great vehicle.

I am waiting on a platium limited, 301, second row buckets, voice activated navigation, luxury seating, bliss, moonroof, trailer package, polished aliminum, mud guards, and inflatable belts. Build date 4-11-11. The problem is all the problems I read about in this forum. I can't tell how serious these problems are or if its worth the gamble. I am fortunate to have a dealer I trust but some of the computer problems seem to be new to service people. Anyone who could help put this in perspective would be greatly apprechiated. Thanks for any and all advice. Thanks[/QUOTE

I think you are taking some of this stuff a little too serious. I doubt that any of the units being delivered now have the problems that are repeated over and over here. To give some perspective, iPhones and iPads have more problems than these Explorers!
I haven't had a single problem with mine, and take all the so-called complaints with a grain of salt.
These Explorers are incredible. Don't let this stuff get you all freaked-out.

Don't let the glitches stop you if you really like the car. They are getting more and more things worked out with every build. Plus, many of those without problems will never ever post, so the issues may seem to be out of proportion with what's really going on.

I've had a few small glitches with MFT that seem to rectify themselves the next time I turn on the car. The one problem that won't fix itself is the clock and my dealer told me he had an update to fix that. So, I simply need to run it by. But, that's OK... I knew going in with a first year build I may see the dealer a few more times than I'm used to.

Hi All:

I bought a 2011 explorer limited about a month ago and I have to say that I love everything about its ride, sound system, handling and steering. Unfortunately, I have to say that its navigation system and sync features leave much to be desired. The dealer has been extremely responsive and done what they can, but there are so many bugs in the software that I'm afraid its going to take quite a while for it to perform up to expectations.

For example, it takes 2-5 minutes for everything, including the nav system, to be up and running after start, including being able to use voice commands. Also, I've had 5+ 'SD Card faults', which cause me to have to pull over, turn off and restart the car (kind of like rebooting a microsoft PC, huh?) or even pop out the sd card and re-insert it for it to work. Also, if the sound system is off, and I receive a phone call, when the call is over, the sound system comes on all by itself. Additionally, the on/off button for the sound system doesn't always work or it can be off or on, but show the opposite on the small LCD screen from the main display. Finally, I also cannot get the video to work, even if I'm in park.

Really thinking I should have followed the old advice of never buying a first year model, but even so, with all the problems, I have to say I enjoy driving it every day. I've taken it to Yosemite in the snow and off-road on some moderately steep/windy dirt roads and it's performed flawlessly in the various 4x4 modes. Oh, and I absolutely LOVE the active assist cruise control! It performs exactly as advertised and makes being in cruise control 1000% better than normal cruise control.

Thanks!

Gary

we have both a 2011 ford edge sport and now a 2011 ford explorer. I got the edge with the early version of MFT/sync. It was chock full of bugs. My edge is now on its 2nd revision of MFT/sync at v2.4, and working good. My wifes explorer is running a newer version still at v2.7, and works really good. I'm having my dealer update the edge soon. My point is, I bought and suffered through early MFT/sync versions and still bought another ford vehicle running that software because I believe that Ford is slowly perfecting it. My advice, get your Ex. You won't regret it, its a great truck.

Hi All:

I bought a 2011 explorer limited about a month ago and I have to say that I love everything about its ride, sound system, handling and steering. Unfortunately, I have to say that its navigation system and sync features leave much to be desired. The dealer has been extremely responsive and done what they can, but there are so many bugs in the software that I'm afraid its going to take quite a while for it to perform up to expectations.

For example, it takes 2-5 minutes for everything, including the nav system, to be up and running after start, including being able to use voice commands. Also, I've had 5+ 'SD Card faults', which cause me to have to pull over, turn off and restart the car (kind of like rebooting a microsoft PC, huh?) or even pop out the sd card and re-insert it for it to work. Also, if the sound system is off, and I receive a phone call, when the call is over, the sound system comes on all by itself. Additionally, the on/off button for the sound system doesn't always work or it can be off or on, but show the opposite on the small LCD screen from the main display. Finally, I also cannot get the video to work, even if I'm in park.

Really thinking I should have followed the old advice of never buying a first year model, but even so, with all the problems, I have to say I enjoy driving it every day. I've taken it to Yosemite in the snow and off-road on some moderately steep/windy dirt roads and it's performed flawlessly in the various 4x4 modes. Oh, and I absolutely LOVE the active assist cruise control! It performs exactly as advertised and makes being in cruise control 1000% better than normal cruise control.

Thanks!

Gary

Sound like you have much more than software bugs. The problems you describe are far beyond the "normal" problems the MFT system has. I have V2.7 of the software, and everything is booted within 10-15 seconds of turning the key on. Even my phone normally connects about that quickly since I've upgraded to the 2.7 firmware.

Has the dealer replaced your APIM module?

Back