• Register Today It's free!

Need recommendation for bed cover

gcheck

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT Supercab
Any recommendation for preferred bed covers such as: 1) tonneau, 2) roll top or 3) hard cover? I like the idea of the tonneau or roll top because you can expose the entire bed to load large vertical objects such as furniture or landscaping trees. I was also wondering about the need or option to be able to lock the cover. Any recommendations?

I also need to find out if I can self install or if I have to pay a shop to install. Also any recommendations on specific manaufactures would be great of truck shops I can go to. I live in South FL.

Thanks
Wally G.

:burnout: 97 Ranger stepside supercab 3.0L 5 speed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tonneau and roll top covers can be installed yourself in about 5 minutes with only minor hand tools. However, they dont really offer any type of security. Look to spend from $125-$200 bucks for one. That is what i would go with.

Hard covers are a little bit more difficult to install, but provide excellent security. They also have to be painted to match your truck, and cost a bit more.

If you need security, get a hard cover, as they are easily removable. It is just the bracket that requires permanent mounting.

If you dont need high security, and arent looking to get $400 bucks into this project, just get a soft cover. Cheaper, and does pretty much the same job.

ACTUALLY, i may have a soft cover that will fit your truck. Let me see if its still laying around my shop, and ill let you know whats going on. If i have it, ill cut you a good deal.

i have a OEM hard cover from my truck along with a bed liner if you where interested that i am trying to sell. if you are interested then e-mail me

jahandzion@hotmail.com

i have a saddleman ultra lift soft tonneau. i love it, it lifts like a hard tonneau but if needed you can take it off, i got it from jc whitney

The best place to buy a tonneau cover is at Auto Everything. I just got one from them at X-mas. On a sale I got a $300 cover for $200. It came in about a week and I put it on by myself in about 45 min. For all the covers theres no drilling. There pretty easy. I got a soft-cover cause they look a whole lot better then hard. Plus it rolls up and back in afew seconds. My truck looks so great right now. Good luck.

Ummm...you do realize that was a 3 year old thread you dug up....:confused:

I just bought a Truxedo soft roll up cover, I like it because when you roll it up the support bars go with it, and it can ONLY be opened with the tailgate down so if you want security just get a $45 tailgate lock. I got it for $239 installed it in 25 min with clamps and adjustment time.

Back