need serious HELP! and advice- fuel system/ pressure problem? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need serious HELP! and advice- fuel system/ pressure problem?

thanks cam dog- teh truck is still broken down, with nearly 600 worth of work I've put into it this summer.

I havent messed with it in 2 months but I will look into the cam sensor as you suggest, thank you.

This truck will drive this winter or I will drop it from a helicopter thru the roof of the local ford plant here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

truck is still broke down, I will look into this cam sensor, thank you!!!!

WOW Man! And I thought I had problems. Anyway, reading all this thread there has been a constant: It runs on start fluid. But the one thing you have not mentioned is exactly where you put the fluid into/onto? I mean, on a Explorer there is this big intake hose that has your MAF and maybe another sensor(which heats up and measures how much air is getting by the change in temp). If you pull these things apart, you may get the start fluid at the TPS opening but then the MAF won't be getting any signal that air is passing thru. Do you get where I'm going? Please tell me (or us) how you manage to get starting fluid on this kind of engine without opening this hose. Anyway, if it runs on starting fluid then there is no need in getting complicated. Think about it: It runs (fine, I suppose) by pouring some fluid but not by itself. There can't be any obstruction pass the point you feed your fluid, otherwise even the starting fluid would not start the engine. Please let us know(or at least me) how to get starting fluid on these engines. I have used that thing before, but only on carburated engines(a lot easier to mantain).:confused:

I was spraying starting fluid down the throttle body with the intake tubing removed.

I have tried to put the intake all back together and it still wont start.

Anyone offer advice on pulling out a snapped off spark plug??!!

Ok, so now we have something. Think about this: You say the truck starts by feeding starting fluid thru the TPS. But then if you connect the big air intake hose, it won't start. The only difference here is the MAS, that thing at the beggining of the hose. I would check this gizmo, because when you apply the starting fluid the hose is disconnected and there is no air flowing thru the intake. I am assuming that everything works for those few seconds, you know, that the engine runs and you can accelerate it, etc. If all this is true, then there's no use in checking the coil, plugs, cables,etc. You said the pump is working and the filter is ok. AND IT RUNS ON STARTING FLUID. So, I would check the MAS airflow sensor(some say it can be cleaned, but it is very delicate). In my case (on another thread) I mentioned that I was able to check the MAS and TPS as a whole unit, swapping it from another Explorer. This is fairly easy to do, if you haven't done so before. All you need is a friend with an Explorer that wouldn't mind you tinkering under the hood of his/her car. Hey, if you have such a friend, and the trucks are compatible(model year) then you can also check all those parts that can be easily changed, like the IAC, which only has 2 bolts. As a last note, I know that my truck won't start with the MAS disconnected, so I would start there.:salute:

When you turn the key to on, but dont try to start it do you get a cel?

When you turn the key to on, but dont try to start it do you get a cel?

I can't recall but I would almost expect one LOL!

Ok gentlemen. I have issues and I need you to help me address them. Heres whats going on with this truck, which still has not moved or ran all summer.

All the electronics are fine, I am nearly certain of it. As I type this this the upper intake manifold is off and has been given a coat of fresh black hi-temp paint for good measure and a show of faith. Fuel rail off. INJECTORS- the metal casing of the injectors are rusted on 4 of the 6.

When removed and turned over and tapped on my workbench rusty sand like stuff came out of each one- they were full of rust and I suspect them to be shot. So I need a set of injectors BADLY! I have 4 new ones here but they are the wrong ones :eek:

THE MAJOR PROBLEM:

I dont know if I mentioned the snapped off spark plug? Well theres a plug broken off in the middle drivers side cylinder.

I drilled the center of the plug out and today I snapped a #4 bolt extractor off in the plug! which is still stuck in the block!

I gave up there. tomorrow I hit it with the #5 extractor and a bigger drill bit. whatever it takes at this point, I need this truck by the winter or I'm scrapping it and buying some other heap.

so I found a place that will rebuild my injectors for 102.00

I called around and I can't find any X's in local yards to grab parts from or I'd try used ones.

I can't get that plug out but I admittedly gave up pretty easily today.

http://www.accurateis.com/

anyone try this? Seems to be the cheapest route, I guess if they got me 3-4 good injectors back from my set I'd still save over buying all new.

ok so I spent about 2 hours trying to drill that broken plug/extractor out of there with a hole big enough to start the bigger extractor. no dice.

I'm looking around craigslist now for another 91-94 X for dirt cheap.

When drilling out broken studs....I start with a center punch, then the smallest bit...then step up a size until it enlarges enough for the stud to give out. At that point, I extract it without damaging the threads. Long, but beats heil-coil and whatnot.

A ray of hope.

got on craigslist and found a knowledgeable guy who is parting out a 97 4x4 sport. I emailed him hoping he'd sell me his injectors, which he'd be glad to do, if they fit. :(

but he did give me some advice-

the following vehicles injectors are the same as our trucks:
91-95 explorer 4.0
91-95 ranger 4.0
90-95 aerostar 4.0
91-93 navajo 4.0

And then he told me of a yard where he's sure there will be a 91-95 X or at very least one of the other suitable donors.

Thanks Larry- you are a good guy!

in case anyone might need some 97 explorer stuff:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/pts/445160091.html

I didn't think to ask him if the engine block/ heads are the same.. probably not.

I WILL find one of those vehicles in a pick and pull and my explorer will live!!

you know bluexp- thanks for posting that. I have this way of going at things in a less than logical manner and starting with a sharp tiny bit and working up drill bits until I can use the extractor sounds like its worth a shot. I was trying to bore a 1/4" or so hole in a piece of hardened steel and it was NOT happening.

The one thing I do have plenty of is small, sharp drill bits. The temps are getting cooler. I bought a torch tip and propane cylinder. Once I can actually make a hole in it it'll come out. Just can't give up so easily. :)

update:

got a set of used injectors from a guy here this week, just put them in and put the intake back together. charging the battery while I eat lunch, going back out there in a bit and hoping she will start!

so I went out and put the key in- then I remembered I still never got that darn spark plug out yet. Spent another half hour before dark trying to get it out. no go.

Tomorrow's a new day.

a broken spark plug! that would suck bad! the only thing i can suggest is to try to use a tap and dye kit put a reverse thread in it and try to screw it out

dream to u have a dig camera so we can see were your plug is broke off ?? is it just the insulator ?? when u put your socket on is it just rounded off or what ?? let me know an ill take a pick of the tool that should work for u its about the same size as a socket an the harder u turn it the tighter it grips as 4.0 plugs are small im sure theirs room to use the tool ill show ya which can be pk-ed up at sears or any good parts store :)

the nut shaped part broke off, leaving the threaded part/ electrode in the head.

Just got back from the parts store with a new can of PB blaster and a 20 dollar bolt extractor set that comes with hardened drill bits. lets boogie.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back