• Register Today It's free!

Need Shock Help

IndianasFinest

Reaction score
City, State
Southern Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I am gonna replace the upper ball joints on my 01' Sport this weekend, and need some help with which shocks I should buy. My truck is a 2001 Sport 4wd with warrior shackles,AAL and TT to match up front with 285/75/16 tires. I'm thinking I need a shock thats going to be 2" longer then my stock ones ?? I work for a Ford dealer and have been tryin to find an old F150 shock to measure it up to my Explorer shock to see if that may work. Anyway I need some ideas, and don't really have the money for Ranchos or other expensive shocks. I was hoping I could get away with some Monroes or similar.... Any ideas ???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Monroe Sensa-Track are basically the same as Rancho RS 5000... Made in the same place.

I'd run 2" longer if you can find them. Of course, I was running a set of 2006 Dodge 1 ton 4x4 shocks up front of mine -- almost twice as long as stock Explorer. :thumbsup:

Sensa tracs are not the same as Rancho 5000s. I've had both, sold both and they are diffrent. The Monroes self expand, where as the Ranchos do not. If you compress a rancho shock, it will not expand under its own force. The Monroe will. Yes, they are made by the same manufacturer, but they are not the same on the inside. As far as the RS9000 and RSX, I have never dealt with them. Here is a link describing the characteristics of shocks from TRS..
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Pick_The_Right_Shocks.htm
The ranchos are a Celluar gas design, while Monroes are a standard twin tube shock. You can't go wrong with either one. But the Monroes are built more for on road comfort, while the ranchos will probably be a bit softer, but should help flex a bit better offroad.

Dan

How about Bilstein shocks? A local shop told me they are the best available for my explorer (they took a look at it) but I don't want to fully trust someone trying to sell me stuff.

Bilsteins are good, can never go wrong with them. If I could afford them, its what I would go with. I would also look in to the KYB Monomax shocks.

Dan

If you want a shock with a longer length, the Old Man EMU's are about an inch longer, as they were actually made to be used with the torsion bar twist and Warrior shackles. These are excellent shocks and are very heavy duty. The shafts are much bigger than just about all the other manufactures and I have used them with much success. Ask GJarrett, as he is still using my old OME's to this day. :)

Back