Need 'SilverStar' like bulbs for my fogs. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need 'SilverStar' like bulbs for my fogs.

Hey I got the SilverStars up front in my headlights, but I have the old stock 55W H1 bulbs in my stock fog lights. They look a bit yellow, and look bad compared to my SS in my heads. I've been to all the autoparts stores looking for a replacement, but I can't find anything.

Does any company make 'SilverStar Like' H1 bulbs that would fit down there? I don't want ricer blue, I want pure white if I can find them, and I don't want to pay PIAA prices :eek: (if possible!).

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Ry.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by rvitek
Hey I got the SilverStars up front in my headlights, but I have the old stock 55W H1 bulbs in my stock fog lights. They look a bit yellow, and look bad compared to my SS in my heads. I've been to all the autoparts stores looking for a replacement, but I can't find anything.

Does any company make 'SilverStar Like' H1 bulbs that would fit down there? I don't want ricer blue, I want pure white if I can find them, and I don't want to pay PIAA prices :eek: (if possible!).

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Ry.

Your H-1 bulbs are in a holder - really they're what Ford is calling a 9145. A Silverstar 9005 can be modified to replace your bulb and holder.

See:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=57643&highlight=9005

i've heard that with a "tiny bit" of filing, the 9005 should fit. they even said a nail file could do the trick. how much is a "tiny bit"? i really am looking foward to getting my 9007 and 9005 silverstars.

-kenny :usa:

i've heard that with a "tiny bit" of filing, the 9005 should fit

I just put 9005 s in my fogs. I just had to cut a small piece off 1 of the 3 tabs on the bulb base. I would rather cut the base than try and cut or file the foglight itself.

i bought 9005's tonight for my fogs and i modified them to fit the base, but they wont fit in the housing... the opening isn't wide enough for the 9005 to fit in. cna i file the glass or maybe somehow carefully use a drill to make it wider?

-kenny :usa:

i bought 9005's tonight for my fogs and i modified them to fit the base, but they wont fit in the housing... the opening isn't wide enough for the 9005 to fit in. cna i file the glass or maybe somehow carefully use a drill to make it wider?

I am having a hard time picturing what you mean.:confused:

I am not sure how much different the 99 lights are than the 2002, but the one problem I had was, I could not get the 9005 in the light with the plug on it. I tried it several times and swore at it even, :mad: but could not do it. The minute I unplugged it, it went in in 2 seconds. :D

I hope this is what you mean. If not, you might want to find out what other people with 99 Xs have done.

Can somebody post pics of what has to be filed on the bulb?

ibuytoys

if you hold already have 9145's, just compare the tabs to the 9005.

there are only two tabs that need a "small" amount of filing.

also definetly insert the new 9005 into fog BY ITSELF, THEN clip the plug on it.

i just had to do this yesterday, replaced both bulbs.

peter

Neh...'95-'98's use 899 bulbs. I have no clue who makes the bulbs that look like SilverStar.

Picked up some 9007 Silverstars but they didn't have the 9005's in stock. Anybody know a good place where I can order these from on the web?

Dude, I said '95-'98's use 899 bulbs. Sylvania doesn't make 899 SilverStars. '95-'98 Explorers use rectangular fog light housing which houses 899 or 893 bulbs. If you want something that is close to white, get on Ebay and get this bulb. Here's a link:

Dead Link Removed

I have a pair of those and I'll let you see if it's white enough.

Dead Link Removed

Sorry, I edited my profile. I sold the '97 and am now in a 2000 so I need the 9005's for the fogs.

I have a 2000 model as you can see in the profile and the 9005's I bought do not fit. I'm not talking about the tabs. The bulb itself is to wide to fit in the hole. The h1 bulb is thinner thus fitting in :(

I thought the guys said the 9005 bulb fits? Maybe I'll go buy a cheap bulb and use it for test fitting....

Be sure to tell us which models ya'll are talking about...I have an '01 sport - what kind of bulb do I need for my fogs??

Thanks.

Mine is a 2000 sport, doesn't fit :(

Originally posted by sonkakaro
I have a 2000 model as you can see in the profile and the 9005's I bought do not fit. I'm not talking about the tabs. The bulb itself is to wide to fit in the hole. The h1 bulb is thinner thus fitting in :(

My 2001 4-Door XLT uses 899 bulbs - no way a 9005 can be modified to fit.

Ok, here is a pic of the bulb that came out of my '01 X Sport. It looks a LOT like the 9005 bulb and I think I'm going to bust out my dremel on the new bulb if I have to. What do ya'll think?

FogBulb.jpg

FogBulbBottom.jpg

FogBulbSide.jpg

Yes, my fog light bulb is VERY broken. haha - I need a new housing too - A big rock got a hold of my lens and jacked it all up....Anyone know where I can get a drivers side fog cheap for my 01 sport??? I've been watching eBay like a hawk, but haven't found one yet.

I checked tonight and mine has the 899 bulb also. I compared the 9005 to the 899 in the parts store and the 9005 seems to have a bigger O.D. than the 899 and it doesn't seem like it'll fit in the housing. Has anybody here put 9005's in place of their 899's?????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by The Cheat
Ok, here is a pic of the bulb that came out of my '01 X Sport. It looks a LOT like the 9005 bulb and I think I'm going to bust out my dremel on the new bulb if I have to. What do ya'll think?

I wouldn't use a Dremel tool - the vibrations might break the filament on the new bulb. I'd use a file instead.

Back