• Register Today It's free!

Need some add a leafs

96_explorer.com

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TeXaS.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer
Just wondering where I can get some Add A Leafs for my X?

I figure that my boats tougue weight is a little bit on the heavy side and just want to beef up the rear. Any of you can be kind enough on what add a leafs ya perfer w/ links or suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before you play with adding Leafs, is the perecentage of tongue weight to total weight of trailer correct? I think it's 10-15% of the Trailer weight should be on the tongue. If not, Shift the axles on the trailer.

Well the problem is my trailer really has no extension which means its (the boat trailer) is heavy as hell in the front which it caused my explorers leafs become weak.

I know when the front of the trailers went down, it's one heavy basterd the pick up. It took 3 adults to lift it back up and put it on the X- receiver hitch.
I don't know what the exact weight is. But I know I can squat 300lbs (in genral weight lifting), so i say that the tonge of the trailer is about 500lbs imho.

The other alternative is to go to magnum trailers (which they make trailers) and have them fabricate the front of my boat trailer and get it extended. Which I know for sure it will be easIER to pick up from the front and take a lot of the stress of my "X" rear end, but that job will be about 300.00 or so.

So what you think then??

www.performanceproducts.com
Get the best! Supersprings. I have them on my truck. Easy install, great weight booster that only works when you have weight on them leaving you with a standard ride. Helps ease swaying. Easy install.

Sorry to keep going with this but. The The Boat trailer axles, bolt up to leafs that have 'U' bolts to the trailer Frame...no? The 'U' bolts shoulb be able to be loosened and that whole assembly moved forward. a couple on inches.

What Make trailer? single or Tandem wheel ? What size boat?

500 lbs. that's a lot of weight on the Tongue.

Originally posted by 96_explorer.com
Well the problem is my trailer really has no extension which means its (the boat trailer) is heavy as hell in the front which it caused my explorers leafs become weak.

I know when the front of the trailers went down, it's one heavy basterd the pick up. It took 3 adults to lift it back up and put it on the X- receiver hitch.
I don't know what the exact weight is. But I know I can squat 300lbs (in genral weight lifting), so i say that the tonge of the trailer is about 500lbs imho.

The other alternative is to go to magnum trailers (which they make trailers) and have them fabricate the front of my boat trailer and get it extended. Which I know for sure it will be easIER to pick up from the front and take a lot of the stress of my "X" rear end, but that job will be about 300.00 or so.

So what you think then??

I have read that the rule of thumb with an EX is to only put the amount of tounge weight that you can lift by hand.

My trailer is a single axel. It's made by DORSEY (very nice trailer btw).

I did not know you can shift the boat trailer axel back and forth. :D

That can be done??

I'm not familiar wit Dorsey but I haven't seen a boat trailer where you can't shift the axles. Weight distribution is all part of normal Trailer to boat Setup.
Shoreliner, Cox, EZ Loader, they all have this adjustment.

A 20' center console has a lot less Bow weight then the same size boat with a Cuddy Cabin. So the same trailer has to work for both.
Take an eyeball to your trailer, you might save some pains with the Springs.

TonyH and all,

I am going to take my boat to Magnum Trailers this weekend and see what they say. I just talked to them and they stated that it seems that the trailer vs the boat is not balanced due to the single axel and needs to be adjusted. :)
Thanks all. Been a great help.
Will post the feed back. but this does make sense

Once you have the trailer balanced, you could consider a load leveling hitch (which I happen to have and is for sale - $50). That will keep the hitch from sagging toward the ground (and possibly dragging the chains).

Dave.

How did you make out??

Is the 'X' happier after the Trailer guys played with it?

Back