Need Some Advice On 4th Gen Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Some Advice On 4th Gen Explorer

m00nJump3r

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
I previously had a 2004 Ford Explorer and it had it shares of problems lol. Driving down the road and the engine cut out (no loud noises or anything). All the lights came on and it slowed down. My buddy (who works on my explorer) and I couldn't figure it out. We took it to Ford and they said that it jumped time and said they wanted $6K to fix it. It has about 185k miles

I was thinking with $6k, I could get 4th Gen Explorer. So I am wondering if there is anything I should look for or should I just skip it all together. Most of them that I've been looking at is over 100k miles. How reliable are they with over 100k miles? Anything I should look out for?

Any advice? Thank you in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a reply I made to a previous post asking nearly the same question:

Get a 2009 or 2010 V8. The reasons are:
  • The V8 is more reliable than the V6 and doesn't have the timing chain issues.
  • The V8 doesn't require removal of the engine to replace the chains and guides, if necessary.
  • The V8 has the six speed transmission which is more robust and reliable than the five speeds used in the V6s.
  • The V8 gets the same gas mileage as the V6 and has a good bit more power.
  • The 2009 and 2010 V8 models have the newer design spark plugs so the chance of breaking them during replacement is lower.
  • The wiring insulation appears to be better and does not deteriorate like it can on the 2006-2008 models.
  • The 2009 and 2010 V8 models have the beefier 6R80 transmission that has a higher torque rating than the 6R60 transmissions in the 2006-2008 V8 models.
Personally, I wouldn't buy a V6 3rd or 4th gen model unless it had well under 100k miles on it. Even then I would immediately install a pre-oiler to limit the odds of a timing chain/guide failure. Also, the V6s have the five speed transmissions that are almost guaranteed to need a rebuild as the miles rack up over 100k. There are still plenty of V8 models to buy but you have to be patient to snag a good one. My advice is to buy one that hasn't lived in the rust belt. Even if you have to travel to find one. Lastly, a Carfax report will tell you where a vehicle has spent the majority of its life and give you some info on maintenance history and might indicate collision damage.

I just want to let you know there are so many threads on here asking about what to look out for and what not too.

I also agree with everything 94Eddie said.

Thank you a ton 94Eddie for your helpful post much appreciation. Thank you Rcflyer330 for your post as well. I'll do a search and see what information is already available.

Here is a reply I made to a previous post asking nearly the same question:

Get a 2009 or 2010 V8. The reasons are:
  • The V8 is more reliable than the V6 and doesn't have the timing chain issues.
  • The V8 doesn't require removal of the engine to replace the chains and guides, if necessary.
  • The V8 has the six speed transmission which is more robust and reliable than the five speeds used in the V6s.
  • The V8 gets the same gas mileage as the V6 and has a good bit more power.
  • The 2009 and 2010 V8 models have the newer design spark plugs so the chance of breaking them during replacement is lower.
  • The wiring insulation appears to be better and does not deteriorate like it can on the 2006-2008 models.
  • The 2009 and 2010 V8 models have the beefier 6R80 transmission that has a higher torque rating than the 6R60 transmissions in the 2006-2008 V8 models.
Personally, I wouldn't buy a V6 3rd or 4th gen model unless it had well under 100k miles on it. Even then I would immediately install a pre-oiler to limit the odds of a timing chain/guide failure. Also, the V6s have the five speed transmissions that are almost guaranteed to need a rebuild as the miles rack up over 100k. There are still plenty of V8 models to buy but you have to be patient to snag a good one. My advice is to buy one that hasn't lived in the rust belt. Even if you have to travel to find one. Lastly, a Carfax report will tell you where a vehicle has spent the majority of its life and give you some info on maintenance history and might indicate collision damage.
Also, look for an Eddie Bauer or Limited if possible. It's mostly preference but the difference in price between lower trims and higher ones is small but you get so many more features. If you don't care for trim or options, go for anything you can find.

Also, look for an Eddie Bauer or Limited if possible. It's mostly preference but the difference in price between lower trims and higher ones is small but you get so many more features. If you don't care for trim or options, go for anything you can find.

I agree and would suggest looking for one with the in-dash navigation unit. It has a lot of good features and connects to your phone very well. The audio quality is quite good with mine also. You'll really score if you find one that has the backup camera option added in. Lastly, don't forget that the Mercury Mountaineer is just a rebadged Explorer with AWD.

94Eddie (and everyone else for that mater)...
I too have been pondering what to do. I bought a 2004 Explorer XLT, 2WD, 4.0L, Jan of 2018, paid $5k for it. Had 120k miles on it, I think about 135k now.
I did not do my diligent research as I should have before buying. I really haven't had any major problems yet to speak of. I'm just wondering if I should continue on with it or dump it.
That's really not my style though, I typically keep vehicles forever. I bought it from central SC and I live in southern NC, so no rust. (That in itself is still amazing to me after living in WI for 40 years.)
I am intrigued by your recommendation for a pre-oiler. Do you have any specifics on that?
I was thinking of replacing the trans servos with the units from AJ1E as recommended by Ford Tech Makuloco. Are there other trans items that I can do to be preventative?
I am more into preventative maintenance than most, probably. So far I've done spark plugs, fuel filter, alternator, serpentine idler and tensioner, trans filter and fluid (it was pretty darn clean, really), rear diff fluid (it was pretty good too), thermostat housing, PCV valve, coolant T for the rear heat, repaired two broken wires in the driver's door harness, left rear door window regulator and all sway bar links and bushings.
I just discovered the right rear upper ball joint boot is ripped, but the joint is tight yet as of now.
Lastly, there is a loud snapping noise when the steering wheel is turned hard right and you are moving either forward or back at parking lot speeds. I'm thinking it must be a wheel bearing, not sure what else it could be.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and wisdom.

Even the 2010s still have the radiator issue. I looked at one at a dealer that a customer traded. It was perfect but the coolant commingled with the trans fluid and destroyed the 6R80 Trans. It is sold with a reman trans they installed.

94Eddie (and everyone else for that mater)...
I too have been pondering what to do. I bought a 2004 Explorer XLT, 2WD, 4.0L, Jan of 2018, paid $5k for it. Had 120k miles on it, I think about 135k now.
I did not do my diligent research as I should have before buying. I really haven't had any major problems yet to speak of. I'm just wondering if I should continue on with it or dump it.
That's really not my style though, I typically keep vehicles forever. I bought it from central SC and I live in southern NC, so no rust. (That in itself is still amazing to me after living in WI for 40 years.)
I am intrigued by your recommendation for a pre-oiler. Do you have any specifics on that?
I was thinking of replacing the trans servos with the units from AJ1E as recommended by Ford Tech Makuloco. Are there other trans items that I can do to be preventative?
I am more into preventative maintenance than most, probably. So far I've done spark plugs, fuel filter, alternator, serpentine idler and tensioner, trans filter and fluid (it was pretty darn clean, really), rear diff fluid (it was pretty good too), thermostat housing, PCV valve, coolant T for the rear heat, repaired two broken wires in the driver's door harness, left rear door window regulator and all sway bar links and bushings.
I just discovered the right rear upper ball joint boot is ripped, but the joint is tight yet as of now.
Lastly, there is a loud snapping noise when the steering wheel is turned hard right and you are moving either forward or back at parking lot speeds. I'm thinking it must be a wheel bearing, not sure what else it could be.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and wisdom.
If it's in good cosmetic condition, sell it and look for a V8. The V6s are far less desirable but with all the stuff you've done to it you could probably start at what you bought it for. If you wanna keep it for a long time, you'll be best off with a V8 by a loooong shot.

Back