need some B2 advice..

Four0Sport

Jack from JackOffRoad
Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2dr
Im starting plans for the Bronco with a blown motor I am acquiring from my sister and had a couple questions for you B2 owners.

What is the largest size tire that can fit and still allow decent flex with a 2" BL, f-150 spacers, and a 2" block in the rear? I know its alot to ask but Im wondering. Looking to build a decently capable low center of gravity offroader on a low budget.

The truck is a 1990 BroncoII, pretty sure its a D28 although I was reading that some actually came with the D35, 7.625 rear end, trans has been rebuilt, interior is good, body isnt too rusty although the longer it sits with a blown motor the worse it will get.

I'm not too sure why Im thinking about another project when my first one isnt even done but I've been itchin for something new to do.

If theres any information you guys have or can lead me too I would appreciate it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking to build a decently capable low center of gravity offroader

Can't help you with the tire question, but hope you know that the stock B2 does not come stock with a low COG with out some extensive mods.
The Ford engineers knew of this problem with a high COG when it was first introduced.

basically im lookin for minimal lift to still allow some flex and the ability to run at least a 32 without having to spend the money on drop brackets. My Explorer Sport with a 4" lift and 32s is a little too 'bouncy' on the trails.

basically im lookin for minimal lift to still allow some flex and the ability to run at least a 32 without having to spend the money on drop brackets. My Explorer Sport with a 4" lift and 32s is a little too 'bouncy' on the trails.
do a 3 in body and you should be able to run 32-11-50's and only rub on full turns, thats the way my b2's where. now i'm starting a body swap over to a 69 bronco drive tran. 302 3 speed dana 20 x-case 9 in and dana 30 and only 280 bucks off evil-bay

body lift? Oh man he said LOW COG

Cut the fenders

body lift = purpose to fit tires
cut fenders = fit tires, no body lift needed.

I would consider some modified beams, cut and turned or a ball joint re-locate so you can run a lift coil and extended radius arms without drop brackets.
extended radius arms and some good soft coils are the key to flex with the ttb, at least to get you started....modified beams can save you alot of headaches, correcting your alignment and eliminating the weak drop brackets all at once.....it just depends on how far you want to go, as you know you can do a $200 budget 2" lift all the way to a $3000 22" of usable travel swing set steering big brakes long travel...... how much fab do you want to tackle? or are we going stricktly bolt on here?

ditch the dana 28 paper weight no matter what you do, a dana 35 is a direct bolt in pretty much and a huge improvement

The 7.5" rear end should also be a boat anchor, a Ranger or explorer 8.8 can easily go back there, the 31 spline disc brake spring under takes a bit more work (spring perches and pinion angle) but its the last rear end your BII will ever need

body lift? Oh man he said LOW COG

Cut the fenders

body lift = purpose to fit tires
cut fenders = fit tires, no body lift needed.

I would consider some modified beams, cut and turned or a ball joint re-locate so you can run a lift coil and extended radius arms without drop brackets.
extended radius arms and some good soft coils are the key to flex with the ttb, at least to get you started....modified beams can save you alot of headaches, correcting your alignment and eliminating the weak drop brackets all at once.....it just depends on how far you want to go, as you know you can do a $200 budget 2" lift all the way to a $3000 22" of usable travel swing set steering big brakes long travel...... how much fab do you want to tackle? or are we going stricktly bolt on here?

ditch the dana 28 paper weight no matter what you do, a dana 35 is a direct bolt in pretty much and a huge improvement

The 7.5" rear end should also be a boat anchor, a Ranger or explorer 8.8 can easily go back there, the 31 spline disc brake spring under takes a bit more work (spring perches and pinion angle) but its the last rear end your BII will ever need

and he said with out spending alot of $$$$$$$$$$ yes he can slice and dice the fender but didn't say he wanted to go that route, and has not said what the outcome of the look he wants eather. so the 2 or 3 is his cheap out and fit the tires he want's and should be able to pick up a cheap used set or he can try the the washer trick under the front springs but most of the time the front cant be alinged to spec's or he can try a dayco cheap lift. and if he finds used drop brackets he's still looking at 150.00 to 250.00 for alingment and 1 to 4 days installing them depending on the tools he has to work with getting the rivets out. and not to mention needing to lenghten the steering colum, some you can just tap down the cloum shaft others you have to get an extention for the colum. there are just to many way's to go and still have a high center of gravity. but i also grew up driving a b-2 and a cj-8 scambler at 16 and i drove them like a mustang and never had any problems, it's all in the driver !!! and my 88 ranger sit's a 6 in. bds lift and 3 in bl and 32-11-50's and with 32's his drive train is good as i still have my 7.5 and 28 with 4.10's. yes there weak but he hasn't said he's going hard core off-roading and again $$$'s changing drive shafts for 8.8 . i think we both have covered the basic's it's all depends on what he want's out of his b2 and it take's years to build it the way you want them, it never stops when you start. sorry it sounds like i'm on a rant, but there are to many things you need or can do and we didn't address that he has most likely 3.45 or 3.73 gears

410 love the bronco, some day mine may look as good as your's but years away. going out to work on my 69 to 84 project 302 3 speed dana 20 :D:D

basically I just want to be able to fit up to a 32 and still have some room in the fenderwells. not sure if rear blocks and front spring spacers on their own can do that, thats why i was thinking of a small body lift.

basically I just want to be able to fit up to a 32 and still have some room in the fenderwells. not sure if rear blocks and front spring spacers on their own can do that, thats why i was thinking of a small body lift.

with a 2 in you should clear 31's
with a 3 in you should clear 32's
but you need to make a skid plate under the fan to keep from hitting the plastic blades on any thing, ask me how i know that :D :D

sweet project and thanks!

I cleared 31x10.5's with a 2" lift coil and 2.75 degree camber shims, you may have to hammer the rear of your fender just a tad depending on your wheels and tires (not all 31's are true 31")

in the back you can run 2-3" lift blocks or shackles

B2 is easy cheesy

Back