• Register Today It's free!

Need some code help

Ben97X

Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 5.0
My 97 5.0 has been tripping codes for a while now. Every so often, the check engine light will go off, but in a few days it just comes back on. So I got my codes read, and here is what the print out says:

DTC P0420
Catalyst Efficiency below threshold (Bank 1)

DTC P0430
Catalyst Efficiency below threshold (Bank 2)

The only thing is, I replaced all of my O2 sensors about 6 months ago. So that means my O2 sensors can't be bad. That tells me one of my catalytic converters is bad, right?

Well in my county, emissions are not required. So what I may do is find someone who will take my cats off and weld a straight pipe from the headers to the muffler. The only problem is, will this cause my check engine light to stay on. So what should I do to avoid paying over $1000 to fix this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why is it $1000 to fix?

Aftermarket cats cost less than $300

Search ebay for "high flow catalytic converter 2 1/4" "

you should fine them for less tham 60 shipped each--

you need both sides----
I would remove the rear cats--while you're at it.

now--you can sell the used cats as scrap for quite a bit of $$$$ to recoup--

Why is it $1000 to fix?

Aftermarket cats cost less than $300

thats just what i was quoted at by a local shop. That was the cheapest quote that I had received.

thanks for the info and the ebay link! I am going to get a few quotes from some guys who exhaust do work on the side for getting the cats removed. At least now I have some options

Back