Need some help again please

Stick4503

Reaction score
City, State
Winder, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 & 2004Explorer 4x4
2004 explorer SOHC 4.0L vin K

Just did a lot of work to get the timing adjusted. Engine was running fine. BUT I had to change the oil and I did not notice that the old rubber oil filter ring gasket had got stuck to the mount. Well today, a month later in the cold it did not like having two gaskets and vomited all of its oil out. It was a five mile trip and during the last mile I smelled oil burning. Got to a stop sign and had a loss / decrease of power. 1/8 mile later pulling into my destination the engine died.

Replaced the filter and filled with new oil. Engine turned over a few times then fired right up. Sounded loud like a diesel for 30 seconds then purred nicely. Half way back of the 5 mile trip I could hear a rattle not as loud as the first start but a rattle / knock maybe. RPM increase causes noise to increase. Idles quiet other than a faint high pitched sound like continuous nails on a chalk board. Dash gage shows good oil pressure.

I think it sounds top end. Defiantly does not sound like when my V8 GMC spun a rod bearing. Hydraulic lash adjusters? I new to these.

Any idea where I should start looking. Sounds like a lifter but I don't have lifters. No noise like something breaking or banging when it shut off.:roll::mad::(:thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Best guess would be a cam bearing starting to go out.

Those parts are the last thing to get oil and the first part to lose it in a failure.

Does the frequency of the squeak increase with engine speed?

Second tip.

Drain some of the oil out into a clear glass after the engine has been stopped for a while.

Pull the new filter and cut it open to see whats inside.

If you see shiny speckles in the oil or in the filter you have a major problem.

The squeak is non stop and does not seem to change. I will pull some oil then the valve covers and oil pan and check it out in the morning. I had to be at the fire department today and due to the snow / ice, no call outs were accepted so I'm out of luck till the morning.

Thanks for the reply

Anyone have anything else to add. I'm all ears.

Back