• Register Today It's free!

Need some help over here!

beenwrong2002

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas,TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
96' Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
Ok some of this I've posted before but also have some new problems...
My specs are posted on my sig. First off I'd like to know what type of tranny came with the 96' 4.0 OHC automatic...Ok when driving at highway speeds 60-70 mph after 20 minutes or so the O/D light starts blinking, and when i slow to lower speeds it downshifts and upshifts hard. Also randomly while city driving when i come to a stop sign, when accelerating after the stop the rpms sky rocket and i barely move, its like its in 4 gear or something. Also when just casually driving my rpms will just randomly jump from like 1500rpm to 2500 rpm when im going a steady speed. Any times I try and get the codes read at autozone they say there are no stored codes or anything. Anybody have any ideas what this could be? Suggestions besides taking it into the shop? Sorry for the run on sentences and grammar :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump...:(

If the O/D lights blink and the transmission goes to default mode, then there are codes stored.

is it possible its codes that autozone cant read? any idea on what it sounds like?

ive tookn it to autozone twice like RIGHT when it starts actin up and the O/D light is blinking, then they turn the car off and try to read codes and nothing is showing or stored...:(
4r55e is the tranny you have i do believe...sounds like its on its way out to me :(

nooooooooooo

Auto zone code readers are just generic OBDII scanners, so there are many manufacturer specific codes that they cannot read. You may have to bite the bullet and take it to a ford dealer for proper diagnosis.

Your 4R55E is going into limp (FMEM) mode causing hard shifts from increased EPC pressure. I wouldn't continue driving it this way. It could cause more damage. Go to another place if AutoZone can't pull the codes. A flashing overdrive light means that there is a stored code in the computer.

thanks for the info so far guys...before i take it to my ford dealership anybody have any idea what might be happending or whats going bad?

If your trans is slipping the way you describe, you are losing line pressure somewhere. A number of things could be causing this, i.e. pressure control solenoid, valve body gasket, etc. I know very little about automatic transmissions, just the basics, so I'm by no means an expert. I know there are a number of Ford Technical Service bulletins for the 5R55E trans, and that a lot of crazy voodoo is involved in diagnosing them.

whatever it is i hope it dont cost me too much $

The average shop is around $2k for a complete rebuild with installation for one of these.

would it be better to find a more "heavy duty" tranny at a junk yard rather than get my current one rebuilt?

There is no real "heavy duty" transmission in your case unless you spend even more money for adapters (the GM 700R4 is an example and a few members on the forum have installed one of these).

But there are rebuilt Explorer transmissions on E-bay from reputable transmission shops for typically a little more than $1,000.

My Explorer is currently running one bought from E-bay. So far its held up to quite a bit of abuse on the trail. The rebuild was pretty good, though the shifts are very firm and with the tranmission in 4LO, you can really feel that upshift ;). This transmission saw about ~10,000 miles of mostly road use (twas my daily driver back then) until my Explorer became a trailer queen.

I took mine to AAmco and had it redone for about $1400. They specialize and will work with you on used parts or tranny's. Ford won't...

I took mine to AAmco and had it redone for about $1400. They specialize and will work with you on used parts or tranny's. Ford won't...
My brother's '97 also went in to AAMCO for a rebuild. I dont know what the cost was but his transmission shifts very smoothy - like butter :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so do i have the 4R55E or the 5R55E??? Im gettin multiple answers here

Back