• Register Today It's free!

need some help :P

slybadaboom

Reaction score
City, State
fayetteville NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford ex eddy 4wd
ok so here is the situation, i have a 1994 ford ex eddy 4wd and i am trying to trade it in for a brand new one, 1 problem it wont start

when i turn the key it clicks once, ive tried changing the starter, jumping it, changing solonoid, jumping solonoid, using metal on the starters solonoid, replaced battery, me and my mechanic buddy are out of ideas, post your ideas or questions answer the best i can :) thanks.:exporange

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess it doesn't want to go anywhere....did you bench test the new starter before putting it on? Or jump the starter while its in the truck? Be careful if you do it that way.

Have you checked the battery cables?

Usually bad battery cables or connections are to blame for a click-no-start condition.

That Explorer is one smart car, LOL. You're trying to take the pig to the butcher at this point.

Get a voltmeter, and while someone else holds the key, measure the battery voltage and make sure its not dropping to almost nothing (dead battery)

Then while still holding the key, measure across each cable section. You will either find one that reads almost battery voltage (which would be bad) or find that there is battery voltage between the starter lug and the block, which would mean the starter is bad (just because you replaced it doesn't mean the reman POS they gave you works)

You can also try connecting some jumper cables between the battery negative and the engine block to bypass the ground cable.

Back