Need some help with stereo replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need some help with stereo replacement

rickey55

Reaction score
City, State
Winthrop Harbor
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport trac
2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac --
I bought my daughter a new stereo for Christmas, I started to install it yesterday and I cannot figure out which wire is the power wire. The wiring diagrams I found online say it's light green but that color isn't an option. Also, there's a total of (3) wiring harnesses that plugged in to the stock unit. Do the other (2) just not get used with the new unit? Thanks in advance for any help you guys could provide.

20181228_162758.jpg

20181228_162743.jpg

20181228_162836.jpg

Screenshot_20181228-134413.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you dont have access to a wiring diagram for your year make and model, and if you have a voltage meter, you can check which wires are 12v+ full time, and which ones are "acc/ign", check your ground wire first, should be black, make sure it is a good ground (continuity to metal on chassis), blue wire is for the "amp on" if you have an amp, and blue with white strip is for a power antennae.

What is the light green wire that is stripped and not connected to anything? Does it have a tracer?

It also looks like you’ve stripped your wires way too much for those butt splices.

Do you have a bulb you can turn into a test light?

Does yours have a rear seat control option for the factory radio?

What about factory subwoofer?

I ran into the same issue with mine. Just bought the basic adapter and abandoned the rear controls as I didn’t want to splice anything. That doesn’t help you much, though.

Perhaps this does

3F671528-CF44-4A70-AEED-A00A067005EC.png

Dont let the stripped part of the wire extending past the crimp connectors get crossed with the other bare wires, separate them and wrap them good with electrical tape to prevent shorting out. Usually 3/16th of an inch stripped end of wire is enough to get a good "bite" on the wire with the crimp connector.

Back