need some help! Xenon 8000k "HID Look" bulb questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need some help! Xenon 8000k "HID Look" bulb questions

so i've heard that those Xenon "HID" look-a-like bulbs you find on EBay or Amazon for 20 bucks, because of the different wattage of the bulb from stock wattage have a tendency to melt the wiring harnesses, is this true? has anyone on here ever tried these out? still use them?

I have a 93 Ex so obviously it's a 9004 bulb as we all know, I currently have the Silverstar Ultras and those are very bright, but I wanted to change it up a little and get the look of a HID without spending 160 on a actual legit HID kit, if i had the money i would, but for now just lookin for something different to hold me over in the meantime, im tired of boring yellow lol

so im just lookin for an answer to see if its worth it or just be wasting money and time on a bulb thats just overtime gonna fry my truck...

heres a pic of the bulbs http://i17.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/af/5c/c226_1.JPG
company is called "Texon"

let me know! thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those faux HID bulbs suck. The blue coating they put on the bulbs reduces light output. Quality varies wildly on them too. You can get a HID kit for less than $100 these days. Save your pennies if you're looking for the "blue" look and go HID (although I always recommend 4300K kits which aren't as blue but give you the most useful light).

I'd stick with what you have until you can afford the real thing. HID kits have come down in price immensely.

My HID kit was $90 bucks. It's a 35w 6000k. Never had an issue w/ them. I see them as low as 40 bucks now. I'd imagine if theyre all made in China they are all the same quality. It's when you get into the Japanese and German made kits that the price goes up. Bulbs suck..if you demand on staying w/ bulbs stay w/ what you've got..they are the best by far.

then do you guys know of any good affordable HID kits around, i've seen the cheap EBay kits but are those really worth it?

then do you guys know of any good affordable HID kits around, i've seen the cheap EBay kits but are those really worth it?

HID kits are becoming commodities. Quality varies on those things as well. But with prices the way they are, if components die, just get new parts.

I've never used these guys, but a LOT of people on the site swear by them.

VVME

i was thinkin about just gettin a set of 10,000k, i want a bi-xenon for my highs but im sure just the 10,000k single HID would do me just fine for light output right?

i was thinkin about just gettin a set of 10,000k, i want a bi-xenon for my highs but im sure just the 10,000k single HID would do me just fine for light output right?

I've used two different bi-xenon kits. I think they're junk. Both of them "moved" the bulb fine, but the effect on light output was nothing. It just moved already blotchy light output around. You'll be fine with a single beam because you won't miss your highbeams. Light output is that good with HID kits.

On that note, if you go HID, make sure to spend a LOT of time adjusting them to make sure you're not blinding oncoming traffic. Our lights were not designed for HID and there is a lot of scatter generated from HID kits.

You're talking to the wrong guy re: 10,000K kits. I'm firmly of the opinion that you should be using lights for utility first and looks second. Those blue kits are kind of fugly if you ask me and the higher K you use, the less useful light you get. Sure it looks "blue", but so what"? Blue light is less effective. 4300K is optimal and it's what you see as OEM equipment in high end vehicles. People just think they look blue from afar because they projectors in them refract the light a bit to oncoming traffic. While they look somewhat blue to oncoming traffic, they look very white to the driver (the only time I've witnesses this was in a Lexus RX330 I had for a few days). There is also a concept called "blue shift" or "blue fade" whereby blue light is almost useless to you in certain conditions (rainy, overcast conditions).

This debate goes back and forth, but the only reason you'd want anything over 6000K is because you want them to look blue. It's personal preference and all, but I got my lights to maximize light output without blinding others.

If you really want to learn about HID, go to Hidplanet.com. Be forewarned, they hate HID kits with a passion over there, but you can learn about the ins and the outs of HID and even consider a retrofit (pricey, but way more effective). One last thing. I've dealt with two HID suppliers in the past that don't recommend anything over 4300K. One of them actually charged a premium for the blue lights despite the fact his cost was the same. That's because these blue lights are so popular in the ricer community and they'll pay the premium to get the obnoxious blue look themselves. These are the same clowns that think putting stickers on your ride makes it faster. Whatever floats your boat! :p:

10,000k hids r hella bright i wanna get a set of the 8,000k hids for my sport

I`m looking at the Bi-Xenon 6000k HID convertion kit for my 94X on E-bay its $120 shipped. I dont much care for the blue light of the 8000k, 10,000k and up kits but the 6000k set is good and mostly white. I would hold off on the look alike bulbs and save for the real deal.

I was going to get some Silverstar Ultras for it but it was going to cost me $60 for them so I put it toward the hid convertion.

Just my 2 cent`s

10,000k hids r hella bright i wanna get a set of the 8,000k hids for my sport

Ummm, 10,000K is typically the same output or dimmer than a good halogen bulb (with NONE of the benefits of halogen). 10,000K is usually 900 or so lumens, which puts it squarely in the halogen range. A good halogen bulb has the benefits of an excellent CRI, wide wavlength range for all ranges of conditions, etc. 10,000K HID bulbs have NONE of that. HID's efficiency peaks at around 4100-4300K or so lumens. Above that, less efficient salts and/or filters(all filters reduce output PERIOD) must be used. Below that, a yellow filter must be used (once again filters reduce output).

As for why luxary cars look blue, it comes from what is called the colorband. It is a thin portion of blue light that is refracted above the white cut-off. When you look at the car, often times your eyes are in an area that the color-band is shining in. This makes the projector look VERY blue to purple. If you look at the ground though, you will see that actual light coming out is 4100-300K (WITHOUT exception).

Right, 10000k is no brighter than any other color temperature. They look more blue which gives less USEFUL lights. For the WHITEST light I'd recommend 5000-6000k. I have 6000 and it looks perfect to me. 4300k is closest to OEM look of a car with factory HID. The cheap ebay kits will work fine. If one blows..replace it! Big deal. Or spend money on a high quality kit and deal w/ warranty issues if need be. xenonexpert is a good company to deal with but there shipping is a tad high. Either way..good luck!

As for why luxary cars look blue, it comes from what is called the colorband. It is a thin portion of blue light that is refracted above the white cut-off. When you look at the car, often times your eyes are in an area that the color-band is shining in. This makes the projector look VERY blue to purple. If you look at the ground though, you will see that actual light coming out is 4100-300K (WITHOUT exception).

SUPERB explanation of why projectors look blue, but project white. :thumbsup:

I'm using DDM HID's in my heads and fogs....6000k heads and 3000k (yellow) fogs. They were $65 per kit, they give you the option of numerous colors, 35w or 55w and pretty much any bulb type. They shipped mine next day and I've had no issues....

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=101&parent=85

They are "plug and play"

There are posts on here from other members about them...thats where I heard of them.

i wanna put like 8,000k for my headlights and 3,000k for my fogs

Back